Dash pad hardware question

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by weim55, May 19, 2017.

1. weim55

weim55 Member

Feb 23, 2017
    I'm working on a 70 Z 28 that as received as an aftermarket dash pad with extremely poor fitament (read: loose and nearly falling off the upper dash). This isn't my first rodeo on one of these early 2nd gens So I'm well aware of some of the design flaws. I believe the issue I'm having is the dash was assembled with the incorrect retainer hardware. From the passenger side to the center there are five total retainer tabs. I have a total of four long and one short and I think it supposed to be exactly the opposite. Can someone verify this? The second question I have is above the instrument cluster it looks as though two screws are used to retain this section to the upper dash steel. What kind of screws and retainers are used here? Attached are images of the areas of concern for reference.

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado

Attached Files:

2. weim55

weim55 Member

Feb 23, 2017
    When I use the one short retainer I have in positions 1 through 4 the fit to the upper dash is fantastic-good and tight. Same story when one of the long retainers is used in position 5.

Steve weim55 Colorado

3. quickie350

quickie350 Member

Jun 3, 2013
    seville, ohio
    I had the same problem. I ordered the clips per dash pad instructions and put them in the order they told me to put them. It was loose to the dash. I ended up mixing in the original small clips and 1 long one. It then fit tight.