Dart, Iron Eagle, 215 Heads - Street Car with A/C?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by StrongSurvivor, Feb 12, 2018.

1. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Hi Everyone,

I have found a good deal on a set of Dart, Iron Eagle 215 heads and I'm thinking about installing them on the 355 in my Z28. The thing is, this is a street car that will include power brakes and A/C. This is not a daily driver, but a weekend toy that will see an occasional drive to work.

Is this head a good choice for a street driven car with accessories?
  2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can make just about anything street able with the correct combination.
    Hell I've even seen some Big Chiefs on the street, not what I would use, but anything is possible if you plan correctly.

3. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    You can make it work to pull in the upper RPM range like a rocket, but big heads need big cam in a "small" engine (relatively compared to runner size). Will be a dog in the lower/mid RPMs, need a much bigger converter, pull little to no vaccum and might get chocked by your current intake to make it work.
  4. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Frostbite Falls MN
    I'd go with a mild cam with the most lift reasonable. 1.6 or 1.65 rocker on the intake.
    With a big cam it certainly will be soft on the bottom.
    220 or less.
  5. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Thanks to all for the feedback. I share your concerns which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on these heads. This car isn't going to see that much high rpm use and so these heads are probably overkill. It's great to be able to bounce this stuff off of knowledgeable people.
  6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Yep, there overkill, CSA @ 2.26 is on the large size for the CFM they flow, and looking at your needs, don't fit the combo.

No longer available, and maybe being sold for that reason.
  7. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    In order to properly answer this question, your needs and application must be fully understood. That means a bumper to bumper description of how your car is set up, as well as understanding your level of tuning ability, and finally what your goals are. Cam and head selection depends on all of these things. The entire package must work well together, or many tuning nightmares can rear their ugly head. My favorite activity is helping people street tune. I have built over 75 small blocks for people over the years, usually followed by engine dyno testing.

The other issues are whether or not the used heads need work. They almost always do. How many valve jobs they have add also plays a role. They might require new seats or valves. Someone with a keen eye can spot this right off the bat.
  8. ZEN357

ZEN357 New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    I installed a set of World Product 58cc heads on my Z/28 and it made all the difference in world. Great performance!!!