Dare to be Different 76 LT Rally Sport

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by RocketScientist, Feb 8, 2018.

1. RocketScientist

RocketScientist New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Hi all. New to the forum. Picked up a 76 LT Rally Sport recently that I am enjoying buying parts for. Its an original 80k mile 350 4-spd with 10 bolt posi. Body is in great shape outside of a pair of lower front fender patches (small rust out). Originally a yellow/black split color which I am planning on keeping with just a few changes. The top black will be a satin base where the yellow will be original. The white houndstooth interior is in decent shape outside of the drivers bucket being cracked. The original 350 has been re-worked with a Weiland intake & a 650 Eldebrock carb. Runs out pretty well. Im currently fitting it for 15x8 corvette rally wheels with police centers, & searching for a set of 235/60/15 T/A Radials. I plan to make it a driver while I restore it, being the last 2 cars (chevelles) I had became garage projects that never lived to their potential. Had to part with both. Second on my list is to do a full dual exhaust. It has headers on it now with a split to single with single to dual output muffler on it that I want to scrap. Plans are to have a new true dual come off the headers to a crossover back out thru Flowmaster 40's, bent out in the stock tailpipe locations. Local custom shop says they can do it for around $700. Anybody out there running true duals in this configuration? Im a bit worried about clearance of the mufflers being the one & only is tucked between the frame rails behind the rear axle kinda like a 3rd gen Iroc or Firebird is. Any concerns with going the way Im planning? Thanks, & looking forward to being a part of a great forum.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Have you checked on line for Complete or partial exhaust systems? You can get some a lot cheaper than 700.00.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Shop around for a different muffler shop, that one's a bit high.

4. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    I would look at the Pypes exhaust system. I have bought three kits from them. The two for 2nd gen Camaros fit great. The first gen fit like garbage. I purchased the transverse muffler system for my 1977 RS. It sounded great and fit like a glove.

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I used the Pypes’s sgf11 Xpipe kit with Spintech sportsman 3000 mufflers. Mufflers I ordered 3 inches thick for ground clearance. Mufflers were pricey but worth it to me. Sounds and looks great with good clearance. I polished the tailpipes and later beveled them.

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Welcome. My son has a '76 RS, black over red combo, 305 2bbl. . Haven't seen too many with the 4-speeds.
    What Weiand intake are you running? Some don't like Edelbrock carbs, but we have one on a 327 SBC and one on a 351W Ford and, when dialed in, work great. If they give any problems, I will go Holley.
    Any pics?

7. RocketScientist

RocketScientist New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Ill have to build a photoshop acct to upload any pics. I did a quick shop online for dual exhaust kits for my 76. The kit I like best is the Flowmaster 817571 for $780!!! That comes with spacesaver 50 series mufflers that simply wont do. I have used Flowmaster in the past on my Chevelle (40 series) & Mustang (super 44) & really liked them. More the 40 series since it was louder with my x over. I probably go with either the 40 series again or maybe ever the series 10. Listened to some sound clips online but the shop Im planning to go to will let me choose up front close & personal what I want. Not sure which Weiland is on there but Im pretty sure the Eldebrock is a 650 cfm. The original 350 seems to have been reworked but to what extent I don't know. What I do know is that it can break the tires loose on a roll into 2nd pretty darn easy. Puts a smile on my face when it happens.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You don't need a 3rd party picture account.

Just copy/paste pics into your post.
    The board software supports that as long as they aren't too large.

Interested to see this project!