da_raabi's build thread v2

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da_Raabi, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I actually debated giving him a face shield, but in the end we just put the seat back down and leaned it back for him.

I'm not all that happy with how high/forward the seats sit right now anyway. I may need to modify the custom brackets I had made to get the seat lower/further backward.

I'm about 5' 10" and the seat just fits me at the full-rear/down position. My Dad at 6' struggles with his knees. My brother-in-law-in-law there is just crazy tall so he can deal lol.

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Plasti-dipped the hood over the weekend and then did the hood scoop in gloss black. I like the contrast. I'm planning on doing the fender louvers the same gloss.

hood_3.jpg
    hood_1.jpg

3. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I have glass!

Apparently the installer (I was not home at the time, my wife kept on eye on them) broke two of the upper trim studs off... So he "used some extra adhesive". WTF? Don't they make special screw-in studs for that? Well, at least I have glass I guess.

glass.jpg

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    It's so shiny!!

5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Few little updates. Got some new rubber. Went with some cheapo Hankook 215/65s on the front and a nice set of Nitto Extreme Drag NT555R 275/60s on the back.
    tires.jpg

Also tried my hand at some SEM. It turned out ok. The Landau Black went down really well, but the Low Luster Clear went on very very uneven. Some spots went flat while other spots had the correct sheen. I was very dissapointed until I put some Armorall on it. That evened it out and made it look just right! Keep in mind these parts were all kinds of goofy. I had to wire brush that stupid stupid STUPID rock-paint stuff off the sail panels (scratching them of course... see earlier posts) and the arm rest pieces were originally light blue and came out of a junk yard car. Overall I'm happy with the results.

trim1.jpg
    trim2.jpg

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Fans are set up and installed!

fans3.jpg

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Good stuff man you're moving along pretty quick, be careful with those 275's ;););)

8. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Quick update. Got the fan set up and installed. I was able to just use two L-brackets (that the wifey made for me) to hold the top of the shroud while the "tabs" on the bottom hold it to the core support. Pretty slick install if I do say so myself!

fans4.jpg

Also got the Custom Works subframe connectors installed. Easy-peasy! They fit like a pair of nice steel gloves!

subcon3.jpg
    subcon2.jpg

And finally my to-do list. Took a page out of the silly TV show playbooks and used a piece of cardboard to keep track. I'm almost there...

to-do.jpg

9. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    It drives!

I wrapped up a few more odds and ends, got a plate and decided to go for a spin.

For the first time in 7 years I got to legit drive my car on the road!

It ran good, but struggled to get into/stay in 3rd gear. I think I have a modulator related issue. As a result temps ran fairly high, but hopefully that helped cook out some of the crud in the old RV engine.

Shocks where a little underwhelming. Apparently Monroe OE Spectrum shocks are a little under-powered for the stiff 2" lowering springs. Every time I went over a bridge on US1 between Daytona and New Smyrna I got bounced like a friggen boat.

Engine started to run a little rough when it got hot, so I'm thinking about changing the plugs. I think they might be the old RV's originals, so its probably time!

first drive 3.jpg

First time I've ever pumped gas into this car!
    first drive 2.jpg

US-1 made for a nice drive!
    first drive 1.jpg

10. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Also, anybody who might be at or around the Canal Street Cruise on April 14th, be sure to stop by. I plan to be there for my first car show!