Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da_Raabi, Jul 24, 2017.
Someone give this man some shocks great project bud.
The first two videos are of the initial start/tests/fluid checks etc. The third video is of the actual test drive.
After the first video a couple neighbors came over to see what all the noise was about. They loved it!
I'm proud to say things went pretty much off without a hitch! Had to top up some fluids and screw with some vacuum lines, but I'm happy!
You can't see it in the vid, but I did get the back end a little loose. It was fun!
Getting closer - Looked like you were having fun
It looked good. I about died when your wife said "Adam Joseph, you said you were going to take it slow".
Within one week of my first drive in 6 years I had to pack the old girl back into the garage and bury her under everything we had outside the house. Hurricane Irma was coming. We decided to leave early to beat traffic, mainly because my wife was scheduled to give birth to our third girl right about when Irma was to hit us. So we loaded up and headed for family in northern Alabama. Fortunately everything went well and our little girl was born healthy and strong, with a full head of blonde hair just like her Mom's!
Today is my first day back to work. I came home over the weekend to start cleanup on the house. We lost most of our privacy fence and many, many shingles. Looks like I'll be replacing both.
I mostly un-buried the Camaro and hope to get back to working on it later this week. Weighing my options for shocks and mufflers right now.
It seems a bit far fetched, but I'm kinda hoping to be able to drive the car to the Turkey Rod. I'll have lots of family in town for Turkey day, and it would be really neat for them to see me at my first car show!
So that's my update. Its been a crazy few weeks, which unfortunately clouded the excitement of my first drive... but oh well. That's what you get for living in hurricane central.
And no, we did not name her Irma. We might have gone for it if it were a better name, but Irma? Seriously?
In another thread you mentioned you were going to plasti dip the car. To help with removal later don't be shy about putting a coating of wax on it first. It should not peel off on its own and still stick down well. Just don't use anything with silicone in etc. Just start with a 2 thin mist coats to just get coverage and then follow with several heavy coats.
If you put it on too thin it is very difficult to remove. When it is thick it peels off like heavy tape, when it is thin you can't grab it to pull it off and it just comes of in tiny little pieces. Look on you tube for successes and fails. People who complain about it don't apply it properly.
You will still need to spend some time removing it in the cracks which you can use a thin plastic spatula or bondo spreader to pick it out. A rubber gummy eraser also works well if there are any thin spots to "roll" it off.
Watch the over spray on the door Jambs and the body seams on the hood and trunk. Tape off the seams from below by putting a line of wide blue tape along the fender edge or trunk perimeter etc. and leave 1/2 to 3/4 of it not pushed down and bend that over at a right angle so when you close the hood the gap is covered. it also leaves a "soft edge" along the fender so when you pull the tape it doesn't pull the plasti-dip. Pull the tape slowly down/away to keep it from lifting. you don't need a crisp line as you won't be able to see it from the outside.
Check out you tube for application tips. People get the best results by using a simple HLVP house painting sprayer.
Looking forward to seeing it!
Thanks for the tips 8pack. I'll be screwing around with the paint later this year when the temps come down.
Finished installing shocks and mufflers. I went simple. Got a set of Monroe OE Spectrum shocks for about $60 and a set of Thrush glasspacks for about $30. Not bad for under $100!
Hoping to go for another test drive late this week. Just got to grab a vacuum fitting for the carb and take care of a few other little odds and ends. Oh, and clean all the junk out that I put in the car before Irma...
I picked up this hunk-o-junk over the weekend. It had a ton of black paint on it, was shattered in several spots, and when I took it apart it broke in half. BUT. I got it for $20, and here is how it looks after some serious attention. I still plan to do some extra epoxy filling, then a final wet sand and polish. Should look decent, and it will get me down the road!