da_raabi's build thread v2

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da_Raabi, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Quick update. I was able to get the modded power steering pump installed with the BB brackets. I'm not a huge fan of the angle it sits at, but I can't do anything about it unfortunately. I also have very little room to tighten the belt, but with an extra small belt I should be ok for now.

I am actually starting to wrap things up. I'm hoping I can get to drive it around the neighborhood just ONCE before the baby gets here the 15th. The race is on!!

Oh, and now I need an alternator. Broke a damn bolt off in the old one that came with the engine. Now It'll be a core. Oh well.

20170824_152622.jpg

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Looks good. I wouldn't worry about the angle too much. As long as it's full, you'll be okay

3. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I promised the original video of the first start in the car. Totally forgot I had put it up on Youtube.

Here goes. That's the wife all happy in the background. She was part of the engine pull out of the RV so you can understand the excitement!

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Have to love the first start up's. Looks like you are in good hands to help out on getting this running. Congrats on the little one coming hopefully your wife did not get to excited and decide to deliver early :)

5. RS1979

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Sounds like you got a good engine. Many times you get what you think is a good engine and the rods are knocking so loud it sounds like a John Bonham drum solo.

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Well I'm wrapping up all the little things over the next couple of days. I hope to be able to roll the car under its own power for the first time on Saturday!

I had to get a little creative to figure out the correct belt for the power steering pump. It has so little travel I had to go extra short on the belt to get it tight!

I also realized I needed a coolant overflow bottle... See what you think of my temporary solution!

And... OMG ITS GOT COOLANT IN IT!!!! SIX YEARS LATER!!!! I know its silly, but it was a big moment for me as I started to pour coolant into my nice shiny new radiator!

So last steps are to re-bleed the brakes again, empty out all the junk in the trunk, take out the pass seat (its not bolted in and I dont want it rattling around), hook up the power window switch and roll down the windows (for emergency egress if anything goes wrong), and toss a few sand bags in the trunk to keep rebound down (no shocks).

This is gonna be fun!!
    20170831_063649.jpg
    20170831_063704.jpg
    20170831_063720.jpg

7. RS1979

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    The overflow shows that Americans still have ingenuity second to none.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Getting close only thing missing is the overflow tube on your overflow bottle to release the excess overflow :)

9. RS1979

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Quick question. If your overflow is there, where are you going to put your battery? Tell me you're not going to use AAA batteries. Lol

10. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Its a coke bottle LOL. I plan to just shove it behind the battery. Works good lasts long time!

Bled the brakes again (still squishy, but it'll do for now) and got the car on the ground.

Topped up all the fluids.

Plan to pull the battery out of the truck tonight and crank over the engine a few times with the starter to get fluids moving. I want to make sure the tranny has fluid throughout and the power steering has had a chance to bleed out. Hopefully I can do this tomorrow!