da_raabi's build thread v2

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da_Raabi, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    And finally this is how it sits today. I plasti-dipped the wheels, and am tinkering with a few other things but I'll post on that now that the build log is up-to-date!

Thanks for hanging with it this far!

20170724_190436.jpg

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Now that things are up-to-date here, I can start to post as things happen! I decided to pull the th400 (that came with the RV 454) back out in favor of dropping in a th350. I realize the 454 might be too much for it, but it will get me rolling with very little pain in the yoke/driveshaft area. This way I can run my original yoke and dshaft without any slip yoke conversion or length issues. I found a recently rebuilt th350 out of an 81 over towards Orlando for $150. In the same area I found a guy with an old set of Hooker bbc long tubes for $75. Figure I'll try to get $200 out of the th400, so I won't be out too much for everything.

I should name this "project cheapskate." Seriously, I've been (out of necessity) skimping on everything lately. Wheel 'n deal here, trade there. Anything I can do to get rolling!

3. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Drove out to North Orlando and picked up the trans and headers. The TH-350 transmission was practically new, and it even came with the torque converter. The guy says "I'm not sure how good it is, I drove it down from Georgia without any trouble." Well shoot. If a transmission will make it 300 miles plus without problems I think its just fine for me!

Headers were a couple years old, but 99% of that was spent hanging on a wall. The guy ran them once then pulled the engine. Apparently he decided he didn't like the big block and went back to a small block. So I got a set of 1-time-used Hooker Super-Competition 2217 headers for $75. Is that a deal or what???

Then I did something kinda silly a couple of days ago. I ordered 99% of what I need to roll the car down the road under its own power. Put about $470 on the credit card (a ton for me) and got lots of stuff on the way. I feel kinda bad about it because it was money I should NOT have spent, but I couldn't help it. I'm so close to driving this car again I can taste it! Its been six years and I'm ALMOST THERE!!!!!

Picked up an aluminum radiator, hoses, t-stat, oil dipstick (RV one had to be removed, it was about 6 feet long), fuel return line, power steering pump/pulley/hoses, headers bolts and gaskets, dual-pattern flexplate/torque-converter bolts/kickdown cable for the TH-350 swap, fuel hoses, wire/tube insulation, and a bunch of other odds and ends.

I'm crazy busy finishing up my first semester of Dr classes but I'm hoping to get this thing turning its own wheels in the next couple weeks!

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Coming along nicely. Hope you can get some driving time before winter hits. Have you fired the engine up yet?

5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Thanks!

I'm in Florida, so I can't wait for the winter. I actually won't be sweating my cohones off while driving!

I've run the engine a few times by hooking a garden hose to the water pump for cooling and dunking long fuel hoses in a fuel can for gas. Once I rebuilt the quadrajet (my first) it ran pretty damn good. The headers will cure my terrible exhaust leaks from the air-tube manifolds and flex-pipe exhaust. I used to have a video posted on photosuckit of our first run. I'll see if I can find a way to post it again.

6. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2002
    Owen Sound, Ont, Canada
    great story. you are so close and you have come along way with it. it's nice to see a family project.

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Last Friday was my last Friday off for the summer (we do 4 10s over the summers) so I decided to get lots of work done. I got the new flexplate installed, then bolted up the TH350 (that was fun by myself with a jack and some 2x4s...), also got the headers sort-of in place. The passenger header fit like a glove, but the driver's side is being a pain. It doesn't want to clear the rear lower control arm mount. I'm not too sure how I'm going to make that work, but truth be told it was the end of the day so I didn't spend much time on it.

I also had to do a little surgery on my new power steering pump. I had picked a pump designed for an 80 Camaro, but it did not have the hole for the rear lower mounting point. Unfortunately I needed that hole in order to use the 454 brackets that came with the engine. So I pulled the pump out and drilled (well the wife did the metal work part... at 8 months prego) out the new hole. Put it all back together and bamb! Done!

Not much to take pictures of at the moment, but I'll get some posted up soon. I did get the radiator in place to test out the hoses I bought, but I figure we've all seen one of those before so no pics yet.

8. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    A few shots of recent progress:
    20170811_163242.jpg
    20170811_145230.jpg
    20170811_163333.jpg
    20170811_163254.jpg

And here is our modified Power Steering Pump. You can see the new stud in the rear lower part of the resivoir, where the lower bracket hooks on:
    20170814_212132.jpg
    20170814_212152.jpg
    20170814_212200.jpg

9. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Had to notch the body mount, but I was able to get the driver's side header installed. Those are some big honkin headers!!

20170815_223411.jpg
    20170815_223421.jpg
    20170815_223442.jpg
    20170815_223335.jpg

10. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Progress has been made!

Fuel system... done!

Longer bolts for stripped (new) harmonic balancer pulley... done!

Trans installation (including driveshaft, cooler, etc)... done!

Next: Re-install pass header, finish bolting in trans crossmember, torque front suspension, install thermostat and hoses, oil change, fill radiator, uhh... and then fiddle with what's left to take it for a low-speed test drive (no shocks so VERY low speed).

Here are a few shots of my home-made trans cooler lines.

20170821_062941.jpg
    20170821_062950.jpg 20170821_062959.jpg