~~~Da Vinci Code~~~

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BamaZ28, May 20, 2006.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I don't think anyone believes that Mary and Joseph never had sex. After all, Jesus had more than a few brothers and sisters- James being the most noteable brother.

2. Ztoy

Ztoy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Ionia, Michigan
    All this fervor about a movie.......wish we could stir that pot equally so for some of the economic and foreign political issues......ah well.

I haven't seen the movie and will probably wait for it to come to cable. But I did just watch an hour of the Da Vinci code revealed on the history channel. This was supposedly the true story behind Browns movie. Very thought provoking. I can understand why so many of the secular group feels the way it does about this movie. The thoughts it might provoke can border on blasphemy. But about the History channel show, it went into great detail, and the original author kept saying all he had done was investigated info and was waiting for someone to refute what he had found, to which no one had yet done.

"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible to you."-Matthew17:19

Faith is of the heart, and can be clouded and questioned very easily, especially by someone not well grounded.

3. RedNBlack81

RedNBlack81 Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2002
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Gee.. the church is run by people.. People's positions in the church give them power. Power corrupts people... therefore, people in positions of power in the church are possibly corrupt.

Religion is poison. All it does is divide people, because everyone is saying that theirs is the right one and that everyone else is in for it if they dont' join. Be as spiritual as you want.. but don't follow religion, all it ends up doing is causing trouble.

Oh.. and personally I think that christ was just a person like all the rest of us. And I think that at this point most of the people that worship 'him' have fallen to simple idolotry. The worship the symbol of christ on the cross and forget anything of the good things that he taught. I mean seriously.. how many of these so called 'christians' actually LIVE by his teachings, it seems too few to me.

Present company excluded because I am sure that you are all model christians.

4. Lammy

Lammy Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Bristol, CT USA
    let's keep it about the movie now OK. I'd have to see a nice review of a flick like this get locked down for being outta line. . .

5. Ztoy

May 4, 2003
    Ionia, Michigan
    RedNBlack81, your saying that "...Religion is poison. All it does is divide people...." could be applied to politics as well, ar any number of controversial issues for that matter.

As to the movie, in my honest opinion, it is fictional and it doesn't shake my religious beliefs.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    He makes a strong point now doesn't he.......

7. Ztoy

May 4, 2003
    Ionia, Michigan
    Not at all.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    So, when Jesus says: "I am the way, the Truth, and the Life, on one comes to the Father but through me.", and I believe that, it makes me divisive?

See, this is logic that I don't get. If that concept is open to everyone to believe if they choose to, and some don't, then the believers are somehow divisive? However, if I believe that there's some nebulous spirituality out there floating around in the ether that says "it's all good", then that's ok?

But let's do talk about divisiveness for a minute. Kim Jong Il of North Korea (not particularly religious IMO) is of the opinion "agree with me, or go to prison, get tortured, or killed", an opinion that's regularly enforced. Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, Adolf Hitler, (along with all of their followers) just to name a few. Divisive? Nahhhh, of course not. They only collectively murdered tens of millions of people who looked different or believed something different. So as we can clearly see, non-religious people aren't divisive like religious people. :p

9. RedNBlack81

Nov 21, 2002
    Ocean Springs, MS

First of all.. yes and no. By believing what you do you are not being divisive.. but people run the risk of alienating people because of that belief. Either consciously or unconsciously. It happens like this... "Oh.. don't talk to them, they don't believe in Jesus.. therefore they are not saved."

It's divisive because you end up with 'cliques'. "Oh.. I'm in the 'in' crowd because I believe in Jesus and am therefore going to heaven. I'm not going to associate with the non-believers".. then you can take that to the extreme of deciding that the non-believers need to be irradicated.

And with the Hitler.. etc. group you proved your own point with the statement ""believed something different"". At least with Hitler (and maybe the others) he targeted the Jews because of their religious affiliation.

Often in the world if there is persecution or "clensing" it is along religious lines. Christians killing muslims, muslims killing christians, christians and muslims killing pagans. Protestants killing catholics.

Think of many of the on-going struggles and you will see religion at their core. The Irish catholics and protestants, the Middle East.

So yes.. but to restate my argument in a clearer form. Religion runs too high a risk of being divisive.

10. RedNBlack81

Nov 21, 2002
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Maybe I do.. but it doesn't really matter does it. People are so entrenched in thier way that the blinders keep them from seeing any other alternatives.