Crate engine exhaust smoke

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by S_ghost, Aug 3, 2017.

1. S_ghost

S_ghost New Member

Aug 3, 2017
    About a month ago I had a blueprint crate 383 dropped into my camaro. After about 400 miles on it I'm still getting a puff of blue oil smoke out of my exhaust and I'm not sure if the rings (moly) and seals are still seating in or if something may be wrong. I'm running conventional 10w30 castrol in it and it has a roller cam so they (the manual that came with the engine) said that an oil with the extra zink wasn't needed. I'm not seeing any smoke while driving or at acceleration. (It did it a couple times one day a couple weeks ago but I haven't seen it before or since.).
    The mechanic who dropped it in keeps telling me its fine that the rings are still seating but I'm beginning to arch my eyebrow at it. Anyone out there have any experience with this happening in a new crate engine? Normally a puff of blue at start up would have me looking at my valve seals but in a brand new engine?
    This is my first so I'm just wanting to be sure about it. I've been doing an easy break in on it.

2. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Pull the plugs and see if any have oil fouling.

Do you have a true dual exhaust? If so, does only one side smoke, or is it both sides?

3. S_ghost

S_ghost New Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I pulled them a few weeks ago and the #8 looked like it had a tiny amount of oil but nothing dramatic. Haven't looked since though.
    My exhaust is duel X pipe so anything on one side will still go out the other too. (The downside of x pipe I suppose).
    Also it doesnt do it on every start up. Maybe about 35% of the time. Sometimes it can go a few days without it and ill start to think its good and then one day it will give a little puff again.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Brand new engine with some oil wetting on #8 spark plug - I'd be suspicious of a valve guide, seal, or intake gasket. Blueprint has a member on this forum and seem to be concerned with customer service. I think it would be prudent to give them a call.

5. S_ghost

S_ghost New Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Any way to check the intake gasket without ripping the intake off?

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    For an oil leak - no.

7. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Check your PCV valve, many are routed to the back of the intake.... near cylinders #8 and 7 depending on what type of intake manifold it is. It could just be something as simple as oil puddling in the intake runner and being burned off if the PCV hose is draining or the valve is bad.

8. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    years ago i put world products cast iron heads on my SBC. The engine was already broken it. It would use a quart of oil every 125 miles. Every time I pulled the intake, all of the runner had oil in them. I finally dumped the heads in favor of Trick Flow aluminum heads and no more oil usage. I believe they were machined wrong from the factory. So, an intake gasket would be the cheapest way to go other than the PCV and dont be afraid to use gasket RTV around the ports.

9. S_ghost

S_ghost New Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Hey thanks for the replies folks. I appreciate it. Ill check that out and see how it works.

10. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My go to answer of the week.....put a hollow PCV Valve in so you are sure yours isn't sticking or clogged.