Crane Race Gold Rocker Arm Clearance?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by bkmont, Dec 9, 2017.

1. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Hi guys,
    I'm pulling the hotrod stuff off the top end of my 70Z28 and going back to the factory look with the exception of the heads. I'm removing the old Weiand 7504 intake and Accel HEI. Going back to the factory intake and distributor. I'm going to leave the 292 Turbo Angle Plug heads on it. I'll just keep the 186 heads on the bench. I'm not real sure what the performance trade off is between 292s and 186s. The car pulled really strong with this set-up but I just like the look of the factory equipment. I'm even putting the smog stuff back on.

It currently has a nice set of tall aluminum finned valve covers on the 292s to give proper clearance for a set of Crane Race Gold 44226 Roller Rockers.

I've read a couple of the threads about rocker arm clearances. I just want to verify what I need to do to be able to use the stock valve covers. One requirement I have, if possible, is that I do not want to use a valve cover spacer.

From the threads I have learned that I need to use the Fel-Pro 1604 double gaskets.
    Questions I have are about the drippers on the stock valve covers-
    Do I need to trim them back?
    If so, by how much?

IMG_3303.JPG IMG_3301.JPG
    Thanks,
    Bryan

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    From my understanding, you will have a problem with the polylocks and the drippers on the inside of the valve covers. I haven't got to this stage of assembly yet, but I am thinking there may be a way to alter the polylocks to improve the clearance to make it work. This involves reducing the height and removal of the wrench flats. If that doesn't work, you may have to use the stock nuts or what most folks do is to remove the drippers.
    Not sure about the gold rockers. The Comp Cams Pro Magnum rollers seem to have a bit more clearance.

3. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Dave,
    I don't mind removing the drippers since I'm staying with the Crane Roller Rockers. The tall valve covers did not have the drippers.
    Bryan

4. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Welp, I'm getting there. IMG_3311.JPG IMG_3312.JPG

5. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Pieces and plumbing going back on.
    IMG_3313.JPG

6. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    And, the motor is back to a pretty much stock appearance. Just don't look to close at the spark plugs.;)
    IMG_3325.JPG IMG_3331.JPG

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Did the rocker arms end up fitting?
    What's with the plugs? Are they peanut plugs?
    Did you coat the exhaust manifolds with anything to stop rust?

8. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Rockers seem to be fitting under valve covers. I don't hear any strange noises coming from the valve covers. Although, I do need to take them off and do an inspection.
    The heads are the over the counter 292s with the angle spark plugs instead of the straight plug 186s. The plugs are the Accel shorties. The stock length plugs will hit the stock exhaust manifolds.
    The exhaust manifolds have a ceramic paint on them. I'll see how the paint holds up.
    Bryan

9. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    One thing that has changed, after fire up and tune, I was puzzled by a deceleration pop through the exhaust pipes.
    The culprit turned out to be the air injection pump. I pinpointed it by removing the pulley and using a smaller belt to by-pass it. Exhaust pop gone.

Now to figure out how to tune with the air injector pump working or just gut the pump and plug the injector tubes at the exhaust manifolds to have the appearance of a working smog system.