Crane 10309-1 spring and retainer kit drop in on vortecs

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by DooSPX, Aug 8, 2011.

1. DooSPX

DooSPX Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Sebring
    I was looking at Sallee-Chevrolet.com reading their info on the Vortec heads. They said, that Crane Cams has a spring and retainer kit that is drop in and good for up to .550" lift.
    That a good deal for me and others if its accurate, because I have read that the other beehive type springs are only good to .500" lift.

Here is the quote from the site.
    "Inserted by Chevrolet
    The Chevrolet solution is to use Crane Cam’s 10309-1 drop-in valve spring and retainer kit which is good for .550” lift with no machining.
    The installed height for this Crane Cams kit is taller and the lower part of the retainer is shorter.
    The “AVERAGE” clearance between the retainer and seal is .575” for this kit.
    We have found that some of the Vortec heads, coming from the factory, do not have the valve seals driven on all the way. You need to check that they are before installing this kit. If they need to be driven on all the way, we have found that a 3/8” drive - 1/2” socket fits the valve seal just about perfect.
    As with all modifications to performance engines though, you should always measure to assure that there is proper clearance and fit."

here is the link the site and the link to the kit from summit.
    http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Cylinder_Heads/Vortec.cfm

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-10309-1/

2. trmnatr

trmnatr Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Maryland
    This kit comes with 99845-16 Single springs and valve spring retainers. I have used this kit on hydraulic and low rpm solid flat tappet springs on old GM Double Hump's and Camel Hump's as they fit perfect in the stock spring pocket.

Here are the specs on this valve spring,,,
    99845-16
    1.255" OD
    125 @1.750"
    375 @1.150"
    410 pounds per inch spring rate
    1.100" coil bind

Excellent spring if it is whats needed. If you need any other info PM me or post here.

3. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Chebanse, IL USA
    The only concern I'd have is the ID of the springs is .870"
    The Vortec heads valve guide boss are .860".

I've got Comp Cams 981's on mine which are .880" ID, and they're darn tight.
    .870" is gonna be like pounding them on. LOL

4. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    Anymore info on this spring kit for the vortec....do they work fine for .500" lift?