Cowl drain holes

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Jeep43, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    DSCF9719.JPG As I was drilling out a snapped lower fender bolt I noticed a blank hole nearby. As I poked inside with a screwdriver tons of dirt and debris came out. I presume this is the hole that the cowl drains from (and collects rot inducing debris).

I'm thinking about enlarging the hole to maybe 1" to help get the 40+ years of crap out. I'll clean out as much as I can now and through driving it any water that gets down there can help flush out the rest. When I take the car apart in a couple years for a full body resto, I'll spray some anti rust Any reason why not to? This hole is covered by the lower part of the fender when installed.....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I tried picking bits out but I would be there forever trying to break chunks up. I ended up passing a 3/4 unibit thru there to max it out to 3/4. The drivers wasn't too bad but when I drilled the pass side, and stuck my finger into the hole it was blocked, except for the conical void where the step drill went in. All packed dirt. I also passed a cut air line down thru the cowl down to the bottom and plugged it into 100 psi with a shop vac attached to the 3/4 hole. I was still having trouble having to break some of the larger chunks up to get them out of the 3/4 hole.