Could it be an SS

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by ruskin911, Jan 13, 2017.

1. ruskin911

ruskin911 Member

Oct 5, 2008
    oswego, kansas
    Have a 1970 Camaro but need some opinions, has 12 bolt rearend 3.31, dual fuel lines, manual steering, and SS steering wheel center center cover any ideas not original motor or tranny has 350 with 4 speed.

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Does it have a rear sway bar with welded on frame brackets? Does it havePower brakes? They were also required on a SS car. Does it have a dash tachometer? Post up a trim tag picture? All these questions answered will give you a good answer.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The only option on that list that would help is the power brakes. Rear swaybar was part of SS396, but not SS350. Tach was optional. Trim tag would help only on a SS396 and only if a Norwood car.
    The 3.31 rear would be correct for any L34 SS396 and for a manual tranny SS350. You can check the date code on the rear end and see if it lines up with the date for the car.
    Also, look for hideaway wipers as that was standard on all SS cars.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. ruskin911

ruskin911 Member

Oct 5, 2008
    oswego, kansas
    It has power brakes and hideaway wipers

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    After 47 years only paperwork really will prove what the car is. Parts can be added and deleted, trim tags can be made, vins can be swapped etc....
    However like stated their are some things like the rear sway bar, but again F41 could have been added or a owner could have.

Pull the seats and see if you can find a build sheet

Sucks but that's how it is. Like me I have a 70 van nuys car and even though it a base model I can turn it into whatever I want and nobody could prove otherwise.

^^ my 70 had power brakes, 3/8 fuel lines with the return and I added hideaway wipers...Heck I was about to throw an original 12 bolt under it until I decided on the 9"

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    If it has power brakes and hideaway wipers and also has an SS steering wheel, there is a very good chance that it is an SS car. A build sheet could tell you for sure. Most LA cars have them. Norwood cars usually don't. Also, check the spare tire. If original, an SS car should have a 14x7 wheel. Most other non-SS cars would have 14x6 wheels.

7. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Options mentioned above point to it being an SS, if they're original to the car. Experience and detective work can determine originality. 1970 SS 350 cars can be very difficult to determine with certain key components missing... If it was a 4-speed car check for a clip or strap welded to the tunnel on the passenger side. Muncie 4-speeds had the speedo cable on the passenger side which required an extra clip spot welded to the tunnel on the right side to support it.

For the possibility on being a big block L34 car check the motor mounts on the frame side. Big block and Z28's came with a shorter mount than all other Camaro's...1970 SS L34 cars came standard with rear sway bar, 3:31 gears, low profile engine mounts, 26" long radiator with extra wide 4 core tanks. Also, look for original blue tags on coil springs, the 2 letter code can indicate big block or small block. Check for signs of black paint on the rear tail panel, look under the weatherstrip if it's still original. If it has the optional tach, what RPM is the red line. The tach also has a date code on the back...
    If the car is all there, there are many little clues that can add up.