Correct shade for 70-72 SS 396 Tailpanel

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by GREGS396, Jul 25, 2011.

1. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    ??????
    :confused:

Back to the topic:

the big block black rear panels were NOT the same gloss as the body, it HAS been discussed here before.

2. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    I have to agree with post #11 from what I have seen and remembered throughout the daze/years.....and not from what I have read........original rear panel paint seemed to be a shade flatter............fwiw

3. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    edit -- Before painting my tailpanel black, I searched thru these forums and posed a question regarding the original color. None of the posts or feedback were able to provide a definitive answer. I chose to have mine painted by the "what looked right to me" method, and based on what I'd seen on other cars, (including Boss Mustangs, Cuda's and AMX's) = Based on these observations, -- here are a few pics of what I've done to my car. The lighting is not that great, but still should give a general idea. If memory is correct, we used a semi-gloss chassis black that the restoration shop typically uses on frames, however, he added flattener to bring it down a bit. - His best estimate on the flattener was about 30%, but it was not an exact science as he shot several test panels with different amounts of flattener. This was the one I thought turned out the best.

Also, don't forget to do the inside the trunk lip. Pic 3 is what we did with mine.

One other thing I would alter if I could. We took the black down a bit too far. Not sure where it is supposed to stop from the factory, but we brought it all the way down to the top roll of the roll pan. - Once we got the bumper back on, it was evident we should have stopped the black about an inch or two higher. - If you look under the bumper of the first pic, you can see part of the black peeking out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Hello, So far I have heard back from noted collector and Camaro enthusiast Charley Lilliard. He used to own a Original Paint 69 Yenko. He also speaks about a 10K mike 68 L-78 Camaro............

"I would do what I would call a gloss black..At the dullest would be 90% gloss, not satin or semi. The yellow Yenko was gloss black. Jason's green L78 68 Camaro that was at the 2010 MCACN for all to see was gloss."

" Jason's car is a about a 10K mile car that has not had the rear panel paint shined. Even the black on the firewall had a gloss to it."

I'm still waiting to hear back from those others I mentioned in Post #8.

Smokey34, IMO, From what I see in your 3rd Photo, your back panel paint had too much
    flattner in it.......

5. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks Chuck, no worries, My intent was not for concourse restoration and I was just going for what looked right to me. The test panels that were shot with less flattener seemed to glossy, and anything flatter than this would definitely have been too flat. - The lighting in these pics was not the best. it does look a bit better in the sun but no matter if it's in the garage or on the street, the low shine, non glossy look is what looked the best to me.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Disclaimer:
    This post has no connection to originality whatsoever. When I repainted my '70 SS350, I had my paint man put a black rear panel on it.
    Now, another disclaimer. If you care about originality, you absolutely cannot use any of the basecoat-clearcoat systems available today. No 1970 car had that level of shine. So, if you choose to use basecoat-clearcoat paint, that says that originality isn't that important to you.
    So, I agree with that statement. Originality isn't that important, so if you are willing to fudge the main paint on the carand use a basecoat-clearcoat paint, what does it matter if you also fudge the back panel paint on it?

This is what my SS350 rear panel looks like after a repaint with NON-basecoat-clearcoat on the car and back panel. The rear panel is a full gloss black equal to the full gloss yellow NON-clearcoated paint.
    Yes, I know that the SS350 didn't get the black rear panel originally, (but if you want to argue this point, I can produce a picture of a GM supplied SS350 used in a 1970 Road and Track roadtest, and it did have the black rear panel)
    The SS emblems on my rear panel are not correct either, but since I don't care about originality, they are there.
    rear.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I took the below pictures at the 2007 Chevy Vette Fest in Chicago. The Brown L-78 and Orange L-89 Camaros were restored by the Super Car Workshop. For those not familiar with them, the SCW is easily the best 1st Gen Camaro and Nova shop in the world. Brian H, Joe S and Frank A (painter) have documented evidence and proof on everything that goes into one of their restorations. Albeit the trend today is "over-restored".....but the detail and originality and black color shading is as good as it gets...........and Yes the Orange and Brown Camaros are painted with BC/CC. I do believe the Black back panel is painted with Single Stage.

The Red 69 L-78 unrestored survivor (READ the sign) has 12K miles. Look at the tail panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. DarrenX33

DarrenX33 Veteran Member

May 23, 2005
    Illinois
    FWIW, after my research..

[​IMG]

9. THNDER

THNDER Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 18, 2000
    O'fallon, Mo
    Dale R. has an original unrestored L34 Camaro. Perhaps he could post a couple of pictures of his car. Mike BTW, Beautiful car Darren!!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  10. DarrenX33

DarrenX33 Veteran Member

May 23, 2005
    Illinois