Correct shade for 70-72 SS 396 Tailpanel

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by GREGS396, Jul 25, 2011.

1. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    My 72 SS-396 will finally be getting painted within the next few weeks, and I want to confirm the "correct" shade of black that the tail panel should be. I have several pictures that I saved over the years, but would prefer to give the shop something more to go with.
    Thanks, Greg:cool:

2. Airborne

Airborne Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2011
    FT Bragg, NC
    Well I have been through this one already. Most folks say to go with a "shiny" black and no one has a paint code I could find. I'm in the same boat as you. I just picked up some Nason paint this morning. Camaro Gold and Tuxedo Black for mine. I figure Tuxedo Black is something they had on hand and probably used for the rear. I must say I was surprised by the price and was expecting it to be more. Good Luck and I'll be watching your post to see if anyone comes up with a new answer.

3. Airborne

Airborne Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2011
    FT Bragg, NC
    Oh, I will put some pics up if it helps you out. As soon as mine is sprayed I'll snap some and you can see if it is something you like or not.

4. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    It's a semi gloss (semi-flat) black.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I would go with more semigloss to gloss rather than flat black. You can't go by the 40 year old faded paint left on the surviver cars, so we have to go somewhat on memory. My memory says that back in the day, the rear panels on the SS396 were the same paint as used on the Z28 stripes. None of the 70-72 paints were anywhere near as shiny as today's basecoat-clearcoat paints, but I do not remember ever seeing a bigblock car with a rear panel that was any less shiny than the paint on the rest of the car.

6. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    I went thru this same thing a year or so ago and ended up going with just a standard black semi-gloss, however, the painter added in about 30% flattener. I was very pleased with the way it turned out. - I have some pics at home and will try and upload some later tonight. - It's hard to describe, it's not flat by any means, but does have a light gloss to it. - Check back for pictures.

7. Airborne

Airborne Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2011
    FT Bragg, NC
    I'll talk with the painter on mine and see what he can do with the Tuxedo Black. I'll have him throw it on and we'll adjust if need be. I'm hoping Tuxedo Black isn't too far off.... Greg maybe my mistakes can help you.

8. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Greg, This issue has been discussed in several previous threads. There has never been a factual conclusion, because as far as I know, there is no documentaion anywhere to support any paint formula or code.

I am going to write (very soon/now) Brian Henderson at the Super Car Workshop and copy it to Steve Shauger at the Vintage Judging Certification.

They have inspected/judged more original 69' SS 396 Camaros than most.

I have seen at CARLISLE (past Camaro Nationals) where the Super Car Workshop (SCW) displayed a restored 69 Camaro with what appeared to be a full gloss tailpanel area. It was so strange to see, compared to the various shades of semi glosses/flats you usually find.

I'll post again hopefully with a more conclusive opinion from a true expert.

9. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    I'll be doing the same thing soon myself. I really haven't picked anything out yet but my plan was to go with gloss black flattened about 10%. I did this on a 72 big block car I had 5 years ago and It looked really good, It had a shine to it but not super glossy. I think anything in the 10-25% range would work but definetely wouldn't go more than 25%, I would stay more torwards the 10% range..... IMHO

I agree with Gary's statement above, there really isn't a untouched example to go by..... they've either all been faded from exposure or waxed. Gary's statement also makes sense in that the factory very well may of used the same paint as the stripes on the Z28's. I'm sure It would of been done at the same point on the assembly line after the car was painted?

I'm also curious on what Chuck gets for an answer.

10. 4buckeyes

4buckeyes New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    columbus,ohio
    Black stripes

I actually painted the black stripes on my 1970 Z28/RS Honda Black Pearl. It really has a good transition with the camaro gold color of paint.
    :bowtie: :cool: But don't put in too much pearl, just enough to give a nice look.