Cooling system sound

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by GPN, May 11, 2017.

1. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Will sounds ever go away? I've put on about 800 miles. Someone suggested I get the front end up a bit, & burp system

2. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    Maybe reverse the heater hoses? Otherwise a pressure test of the system might reveal something. Does it have an overflow tank?

3. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2016
    I do have an overflow tank. I purchases a no-spill funnel & followed that "burp" procedure. Seems to have worked

4. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Thought I had resolved problem with funnel procedure. I’ve done it twice, still get coolant pops. Notice when I idle care befor turning off, and when it turns off, still popping several times. Otherwise car runs fantastic. It drives me nuts. Gotta think it can’t be good for engine

5. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    If the system is full and not leaking, you should be able to squeeze the upper radiator hose with your hand and watch coolant move in and out of the overflow bottle. Do this when the engine is cold. If you don't see that, there is air in the system or a pressure leak somewhere else or it is not full cold.

6. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Just tried that. Coolant did not move. When you say pressure leak—wouldn’t I see coolant leaking somewhere? I drive car a lot (thank you for your response)

7. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    If you can squeeze the hose, and it is leaking, you should be able to hear it somewhere. My guess is that the radiator is not topped off, and that is why coolant is not moving in and out of the overflow. Try topping it off cold, and squeezing the upper hose after that. You should see some sputter towards the overflow tank. Be sure the overflow tank is between min and max.

If coolant does not move after all that, run it up to operating temperature so the coolant expands. Try it again.

An easy way to burp the system is to drill a 1/8 inch hole in the thermostat. It will allow air to pass when filling, but very little coolant to flow when running until the thermostat opens.

8. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2016
    thank you