cooling problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by ChevyLady, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    That and the price :)

2. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Howard Stewart makes quality stuff....!

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I also heard Edelbrock makes quality stuff and look how that turned out. I don't understand why people don't like using GM parts. I guess I'm old school.
    Glad to hear you got the car running finally!

4. Philip

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    I prefer GM parts but a new standard rotation pump is $186 and a reverse rotation pump is $102. Rebuilt water pumps are a crap shoot unless you can find a Delco rebuilt.

5. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    Get another eddy, Never had problems with them. I am running that pump now. You just got a bad one. It happens to every manufacturer.

6. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I just checked the O-Reilly website and they sell "New" pumps for $35 - $85 (Heavy Duty). I've put a couple of the $35 ones on SBC engines and never had a problem; maybe just lucky.

BTW - This was all very informative to me. Glad you finally got it figured out.

7. Philip

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    New but not GM.

8. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    So it turened out that the "new" water pump you installed cured the problem.

No my question is, "what was wrong with the "old" water pump?" I'd be tearing that POS apart to determine exactly what was wrong with it.

9. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    What's wrong with the one you have on the engine now? If it is keeping your engine cool, keep it.

10. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Interesting read...brings back old memories.

My 70 Z28 had a bad habit of breaking water pump bearings at high engine RPM. I must have had a dozen people look at the pulley alignment/belt tension for the problem. The third time it did it, it took out my original radiator.

I went on a cooling vendetta. I replaced the fan with a flex-a-lite and the water pump belt with a notched Gates V-belt. That is like the one used on 90 degree direction-shift applications, like a Corvair. Finally, I punched the center of a thermostat out and installed it into the housing. I added Barrs stop-leak to make sure there were no head gasket leaks.

I had no cooling problems after that. The only time it was an issue was in extreme cold weather; the temp would rarely reach 200 degrees. I plan to put a flex-a-lite back in this time as well as a modified thermostat and notched v-belt. It worked great before; it should work great again! :D