cooling problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by ChevyLady, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ChevyLady

ChevyLady Member

Feb 11, 2008
    USA
    Ok, here is the problem, when i put a thermostat in the car it will run fine then all of a sudden it will overheat. when i take the thermostat out it never warms up past 120.

here are some specs of the cooling system, griffin two row radiator, victor high flow water pump, Stewart High Performance 160 degree Thermostat and a mechanical fan.

here is what i have tried; bleeding the system of air and changing thermostat. I have also checked to make sure the thermostat is functioning properly and made sure the radiator hoses were not collapsing by putting in reinforced hoses.

thoughts?

2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    Test the thermostat by putting it in a pot of water on the stove and heat it up to see when and if it opens up. Alot of us, including me are getting bad brand new thermostats right out of the box..

3. ChevyLady

ChevyLady Member

Feb 11, 2008
    USA
    have already done that... everything was fine.

4. Rene Melten

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    Did you leave the rad cap off untill it got up to 180 ? As it should be wide open by then to purge all the air.

5. ChevyLady

ChevyLady Member

Feb 11, 2008
    USA
    yes, I left it off until it got up past 180.

one of my friends seems to think it is the high flow pump but i don't see why that would cause any problems.

6. Rene Melten

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    Sorry, but thats extent of my knowledge. Maybe somebody else can chime in. BTW, I'm using that same pump and have no issues.

7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    You said it's a Stewart High Performance stat, which is a Robert Shaw design if I'm not mistaken. It should open WITH the flow of water instead of against....like traditional design stats do. Your high-flow pump shouldn't be the cause of it over-heating.

I'd say have the system leak checked. You need to see if it will maintain pressure. If it won't maintain pressure, the system won't function correctly. It sounds like you got most of the mechanical aspects covered. The only things you haven't mentioned was your fan type? Shroud? What about timing and fuel mixture?....in which all the above can affect the engine temperature.

8. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Granite Falls, WA
    Do you have stock or aftermarket pullies?

9. dcart1

dcart1 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2009
    springfield,ohio
    Try with thermastat out, see if still overheat.

10. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    How long does it run fine? Does it cool down after the temperature spikes?