Cool little project we are working on... Leaf Spring Mounts

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by UMI Performance, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    Waterjet, break, and weld? Alot simpler than stamping.... ;) but....yes really needs to be fully welded... and MAYBE...only 1/8" "starter hole" in the stock location:brightide
    so you keep as much material as possible YET... owner can drill proper sized hole in ORIGINAL location ...if they wished..

2. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Just asking - other than strength, will there be a performance enhancement over the Herb Adams modification to stock mounts?

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Very nice... I've been waiting for someone to do this for 20 years. You guys should consider integrating a spherical bearing to mount the leaf spring. Hell you could sell the whole leaf spring setup assembled.

No. I've never witnessed first hand, but Herb Adams original plans state that it won't clear the floor on a 1st gen

5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
  6. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    Are you going to put the tab on it?

7. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Forgive my lack of knowledge. I don't understand the concept of the new hole placement. Can someone please educate me. Thank you.

8. paintman65

paintman65 Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Brenham TX
    Raises the front of the leaf spring, increasing anti squat. So you can accelerate out of a corner faster without losing traction.

9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Look under the stickies in the suspension forum, or do a search for Herb Adams, there's a lot of posts on this subject. You basically drill two holes that are .750 higher up in the spring mount pocket, changing geometry of the rear spring. It's an old road race mod, and a bang for the buck deal.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Lowers the spring ... It's tucking the spring up into body.