converting to a manual trans

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by realrsz, Aug 27, 2017.

1. realrsz

realrsz Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    Hey gang;
    I believe this has been discussed in the past but not quite with my parameters. I'm in the process of rebuilding my '73 z. The car is completely disassembled now. I currently have a 400 trans that was originally slated for this car but now I've come across a Borg-Warner T-10, 4 speed trans. I'm seriously thinking of converting to a manual trans and this would be the time to do it. My question; I have nothing else but the transmission; no bell housing, no clutch, no anything. Not only am I thinking of the cost outlay to add all those goodies, but before I buy all that I want to make sure that B/W will work. I know I'll have some mod's to do to the trans tunnel, the cross member and possibly my drive shaft but I'm wondering; would there be any other surprises? Has anyone converted to a Borg Warner?
    Thanks for your time. You guys (and I guess gals, too) are a terrific source of info. and I really appreciate it.
    p.s. lest you think I can sell that 400 to cover the cost of the accessories I'll need, let me tell right now. I came across the Borg-Warner cuz the guy who owns it wants to trade straight up for my 400. I'm OK with that - if it will work.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

The main mod to the trans tunnel is to cut a hole for the shifter.And the shifter hump.I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro I changed from a Turbo 350 to a Super T-10.Its a pretty easy swap. I did mine in the 1980`s.So I bought the clutch linkage direct from the dealer. I used a Lakewood scatter shield. A Hurst shifter, 130044932860518017_26257430996_o (1).jpg

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    You can find everything you need on eBay. Pedals and clutch linkage kit together for about $250.00, bell housing. Find a flywheel and clutch locally. The most expensive thing will be the shifter with linkage. It's not a difficult change over. You can find a lot of good info by doing a search here. Good luck.

4. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Easy as pie ... I did it in one day ... the hardest part was cutting the hole and the clutch fork. I did a manual clutch setup ... I then changed my setup for a TKO500 and used the exact same kit.

5. realrsz

realrsz Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    Awesome! Thank you very much for your time. You told me exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've been checking out C/L the last few days and found a lot of what I'd need and yes, I think I would want to buy the clutch new.

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    What bell housing ?

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA