Console Options....

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Hang10, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hang10

Hang10 New Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Hello, Picked up a 1973 street/strip car about a month ago. It has a Quarter Stick in her and i want to add a console. Having a hard time locating a "cheap" 2nd gen i can cut up and modify. Has anyone used and modified any other GM console and did they look like they belonged in it? Thanks Kurt

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    A few of us have put in gen 5 consoles.

image.jpeg

Hang10 likes this.
  3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'm still itching to see that 5th gen console in an automatic car...

4. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    My 73 has the console brackets on the floor and I have a repop console to install in it. Unfortunately the console is from a newer second gen and it has a power window switch square hole in it. I'm waiting on a plastic insert cup holder that I plan to cut in and install. I ran into another issue.... you need the 1" offset shifter or the shifter will hit the left side of the console shifter hole. If you try and buy a repop console, just be aware that every piece is separate. Console, storage box, latch, and floor mounting brackets.

Classic industries makes a real nice aftermarket console for about $179 that fits between the seats and drops down into dual cup holders, it doesn't go up as far as the shifter. I was all set to buy one but they couldn't tell me if it would fit over the factory console floor brackets. I didn't want to cut them out because there are holes in the carpet to accommodate them.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Lynd, the console you are talking about is for the back seat, it's like a shorty console , and might look a little funny if used in the front, however, it's your car , and if you need a cup holder and a spot for an elbow, then go for it, the one you need however is easy to find , just longer

6. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I think we’re talking about two different after market consoles. The one that I’m talking about has storage with two cup holders and fits between the front bucket seats. I actually saw one installed on a car during my search. The one that I’m talking about is way too tall to be put in the back and it has a nice height to lean on.

7. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    + Click to Expand

HH1001BK - 1967-73 Camaro / Firebird With Bucket Seats - Black Hump Mount Console
    Add Storage and Convenience with this Humphugger console made specifically for 1967-73 models WITHOUT factory installed console and WITH bucket seats. Humphugger consoles look like a factory option and install in between your bucket seats.

Constructed of automotive grade vinyl and double stitched with commercial nylon thread, this accessory console is an extremely durable and practical way to add storage to your classic with absolutely NO modifications to your car. As the name suggests, it remains secured, hugging the transmission …

This looks like it may hook onto an existing console, I thought it was flat on the bottom up front

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    My bad, I had not seen these put into the front, looks like it would work, and would be easier then the full size console