Confused a little 79 Z28?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by ss396z28, Nov 28, 2016.

1. ss396z28

ss396z28 New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Rochester In. usa
    Yeah it does suck cause it was a pretty solid car for restoration.

2. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    Pull the gas tank down if you can. That's where I found my build sheet.

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Looks like someone made a clone. Oh well if the car is in good shape,Just make it what ever you want.

4. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    That blows
    Hope none of it is stolen

5. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

See my earlier PM to you.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Register it for what ever the title says it is....

351maverick likes this.
  7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    yep

vin matches title

fine by me

OP it's not your fault someone replaced part of the firewall ;)

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Is the car from out of state? Does visual inspection of VIN need to be done. If not just go with what the title has as VIN and get it in your name. I am in the same type of situation. My car is from out of state and has been seen by multiple authorities. Nobody wants to deal with it. Original VIN is gone and Vermont Reissued VIN plate is there now. Some reason IDK FL can't get passed that. The car is titled as a 78. The trim and Confidential VIN show 81. I recently got the seller to get the title reissued in his name with the Vermont VIN along with a bill of sale so they can't say it was not an active title. The Florida dept of HYW safety and Motor Vehicles told me I should be able to take all the new stuff to local tag agency and get it registered as a 78. He also said the car was not coming back as stolen. The thing is Fl was adamant about putting the original VIN back on the car but they could not figure out what it should be even with the Partial VIN. I had some help from our own Mad Mike with what the original VIN should be. I relayed all the info to the DMV guy and he told me. That All the research was done by me and that the VIN that I told him it should be is not in any system any where. The closest one to it had a check digit that was a 0 when mine is a1. Even my insurance shows the VIN with the 0 not the 1. That is really strange. All 81's start off with 1G1AP87, Then it should be H for 305 Then 1BL1344XX. The Trim tag has an 8 showing it is a Z28 so the only engine it could be is 305. Unless of coarse it was sold in Canada, which I doubt. But being from VT originally you never Know. Someone some where made a mistake in entering the info for this car. No two cars off of the assy line would have the same last six. The Check digit number is the one that throws it off. So After the Holidays I'm going to try again before I give up and either sell it for parts or whole. It would be a shame because this car is so solid. The pass floor pan is a little swiss and the toe kick on both sides has some holes. Not that bad. Any way good luck and I hope you get er done....