Confused a little 79 Z28?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by ss396z28, Nov 28, 2016.

1. ss396z28

ss396z28 New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Rochester In. usa
    I've pretty much pulled all the interior out of it and found no build sheet. I can always pull the heater box off the firewall and look for the VIN there to make sure it matches the one on the dash.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Diffently someone did some swapping here .The engine air filter is a 305 one,The door panels and some other pieces an 1979-1 Camaro.. Does is have sway bars ,an 130 MPH speedometer. a big diameter and u-joint driveshaft.3/8 fuel line with a 5/16 return line. There are other hints as well.

Attached Files:

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    ^ Good Clues!
    78 Camaros had the washer pump at the bottom of the reservoir. (At least my 78 SC did)
    78's got a hood release through the grill instead of the handle way under the bumper.
    All US-sold 79's got the 130 MPH speedometer... The dash looks correct for a 79 (proper 79-81 gauge needles too).
    Are there aluminum blocks under the lower bump stops?

What do the rear tail lights look like?

4. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Drop the gas tank and look for the 2nd build sheet on top. sand the paint next to the trim tag and see if the paint that appears matches the light blue on the trim tag. There has been something swapped on the car either interior or trim tag.

5. ss396z28

ss396z28 New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Rochester In. usa
    Well the previous owner had already dropped the tank out so no luck there. The rear taillights are correct for 79 along with the hood release. I'll check on the other stuff. I bought this car basically site unseen I had a friend of mine go look at it but he really didn't know what to look for. I need to check engine numbers to see what engine it is and year. I've only started looking at this thing to try and figure out what it is. Thanks for all your inputs.

6. ss396z28

ss396z28 New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Rochester In. usa
    Ok so everything so far is saying 79 just wondering if it was built in 78 for model year 79 and sold as a 79 even though it has a 78 VIN.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Personally.... I think the trim tag has been swapped. The 78 VIN doesn't seem to belong there either.
    I would pull the heater box and check for the other VIN before you put another dime into it.

If the VINs match and you can get a title squared away for it... You can get a replacement trim tag if you plan to restore this car.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The VIN indicates that a 78 Sport coupe was switched to a 79 Z28 car. If you pull the heater box under the hood, there will be a partial VIN from the original car. Likely that one will be for the 79 Z28, not the 78.
    My advice is to first get the paperwork straightened out for title and registration before you put your first penny into the car. Depending on your registration rules, this car may not be registerable. It could end up as a parts car instead.

9. ss396z28

ss396z28 New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Rochester In. usa
    Well got the heater box pulled and wouldn't ya know it the VIN doesn't match the VIN on the dash but it matches the VIN on the engine, so it was a numbers matching 79 Z28 but now it's just a parts car. Anyone need any parts?

10. smace

smace Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Wow that kinda sucks.