concealed vs. non-concealed wipers

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Bristolblack, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Bristolblack

Bristolblack New Member

May 8, 2011
    Whitefish, Montana
    I have a 1971 Z/28 that I purchased as a stripped shell and about 10 boxes. (Don't ever do this; very expensive!). I found the wiper transmission but no motor or pump. My question is can it be determined which motor to order by looking for something specific on the wiper transmission. Thanx Troy

2. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I don't have your answer but welcome to NastZ. I'm sure someone will be along directly to give you the right answer. You could also start a progress thread with some pics in the project section. Sounds like you have one. We love following along as things get put back together.

3. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Gas, Kansas
    I don't think you can use concealed wiper linkage w/non-concealed motor. Or the other way around.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!!

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    do you have the wipers themselves . i ask this as the concealed wiper option us an articulating drivers side wiper arm . it has 2 posts on it there it attach├ęs to the trans . i also think the drivers side wiper arm mount is different [​IMG] [​IMG] if the wiper arms are the same its non concealed

5. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

May 22, 2002
    Indianapolis, IN
    To answer your question, yes.

I did a standard to hidden wiper conversion on my '73---the non-concealed transmission bolted up to the cowl (where the wiper arms attach) with 2 bolts per side, and the concealed transmission I replaced it with attaches with 3 bolts per side. And as twozs stated, for hidden/concealed wipers, the housing that bolts to the cowl (again, where the wiper arms attach) on the driver side will have a pin that the articulated arm attaches to.

6. Bristolblack

Bristolblack New Member

May 8, 2011
    Whitefish, Montana
    thanks for the info.