Composite leafs

Discussion in 'Custom Works' started by kimosabi, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2004
    chico, ca, usa

We found that our delrin shackle kit really helps locate the rear end, especially the composite leafs. So no watts link it required

2. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    Keith I have a pair of what I believe to be custom works composite leafs holding up the rear of my 73. how can I tell what brand they are and do they lower the car any more than stock? I got them with the shell and they have never seen any use other than holding the back end of the car up. can I use a 2 inch lowering block on them? or should I sell them and use your 2G springs instead?

3. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2004
    chico, ca, usa

If they are a dark blue they could be mine, if so look for a part # on the spring perch. They are great parts, you need the right shock to make them work, and we usually sell them with a 1/2" lowering block to put them on par with our steel springs. I wouldnt ever run more than a 1" block, too much axle wrap. give us a call and we can get you figured out

4. mark wagner

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    I will, OK to call on the weekend?

5. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Not
    Mine came with a sticker on the top side. Might be still there if yours are unused. Sticker also had spring rate on it.

6. mark wagner

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    Thanks Kimosabi, will go check- I seem to recall a stenciled number, but don't recall the color or what the number is. Keith I will try to get under the car and give you a call later today.

7. mark wagner

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    ok. got under the car- they are Vette Brakes springs.

8. 70RS_L48

70RS_L48 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Seattle Area
    Great Street Springs

Kimo, I'm running at about the same power level you're running with 20 year-old VB springs. 1.75s 60ft times with drag radials, TH700R4, 3200 stall and 3.73s. I"m not nice to the car and I've never had a problem.

I'm running a 200 lb rate, each spring weighs ~8 lbs. so they're very lightweight. Even at that rate the ride is far superior to "stock replacement" steel leaves.

Today's commercially available carbon fiber and construction techniques are heads and shoulders better than whatever was used to make my springs. CF has come a long way. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I work with this stuff all day in an aerospace environment. We do ugly tests on it, and is incredibly tough. The newer Custom Works or Hyperco parts should serve you well.

9. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Not
    Thanks! I have installed them with delrin shackles and Koni adjustables set a bit hard. Power level is not there yet but I had some good side bite in a few turns and they are super stable and fast reacting. I'm a big big fan of those leafs now!