Completely annoying Speedometer issue

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Chintzel, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Chintzel

Chintzel Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2005
    NY, NY , USA
    So I don't know if anyone has had this issue with their speedometer. In my 71' (with standard stock 150mph speedo) it is constantly "clicking". I think the cable is having trouble seating however, it appears as though the cable is in the whole way. It seems that there is trouble with that little tab catching though. Is it something a new cable would fix or any other ideas? The speedo reads correctly but it just clicks faster and faster the faster the car goes....:screwup:

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That was usually a sign the cable was needing lube, I'd pull the connector off the back of the speedo, pull the cable inside the housing out and lube it up. They make some specific greases (Google ?) for speedo cables, and you don't want to over do it. Just lube the lower 2/3 of the cable the top third the lube will work its way up, I've heard it can work its way out of the cable if you over grease it.

3. Chintzel

Chintzel Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2005
    NY, NY , USA
    Interesting. I had not thought about that and did not even realise it needed lube. I will check. I am having trouble verifying it is fully seated anyway so I may have to pull the thing apart since it is so hard to access without the cluster out.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Are you sure the clicking is not the odometer. Make sure the odometer is functioning / advancing properly as you drive.

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Mine was doing that. I took the instrument cluster out, pulled the cable out, unhooked the cable at the trans and sprayed brake clean down it and got lots of silver matter from it. The same on the cable, cleaned it too. Sprayed White lithium grease up the lower end and reassembled and problem fixed.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. Chintzel

Chintzel Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2005
    NY, NY , USA
    Ah OK, gonna try that. Why would the odometer get stuck and click? I did not think to check that.

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Stick the red needle up the cable housing as far as you can while spraying grease. Down as far as you can while spraying brake clean and hold a rag around it to prevent spraying on the interior.

8. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

There is a powdered GRAPHITE to lube the cable.
    Ask AZ or O' really.
    Victor

9. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    The AZ person will ask you if the car has air conditioning.

10. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    And automatic or stick shift!!!