Compatible shifters for a Muncie M20

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by jophish, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jophish

jophish Veteran Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm trying to get a handle on my options for what shifter will work with my 1973 M20. I know that a '67-'69 shifter won't be compatible with my transmission, however I'm unsure what other options i have for a shifter. Right now the only one i've been able to find that's exactly compatible is a brand new hurst shifter, which is well over 300 bucks.

I'm curious if there's a alternative to the repro approach. I'm looking to get a used original if i can, but there's nothing that i can find that is meant for a '73...only stuff for up until '72. Anybody know what style shifters will fit my transmission that i won't have to break the bank for?

Thanks in advance

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    A Hurst Competition on Plus shifter is what you need. ANY one of them will work if it has a bolt on shifter handle. You can buy the correct shifter handle from Jegs or Summit.

3. jophish

jophish Veteran Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ok i'm a bit confused...what's the difference between the bolt-on style stock handle and a hurst comp plus?

4. crashent

crashent Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Kenosha, Wi.
    Firebird/Trans-am used Hurst shifters from the factory 1970-thru-1981,so thats an option...
    And I just happen to have several for sale... Crash
    crash_enterprises@yahoo.com

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    About any shifter will work on the trans, but the early linkage is a bit short for the later gearbox. And Saginaw linkage is different too.

6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    i think the stock hurst shifters don't have the linkage stop adjusters that the aftermarket ones do

7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    That would be correct.

jophish: Go on ebay and search for ITM...that's who made the shifter for Chevy after the Hurst deal was done ('72). the last Muncie in a Camaro was '74 so that gives you two years to draw from...ITM is a knock off of the Hurst piece and they are usually a lot cheaper.

crashent is correct about the Firebird application - You can find those shifters for not so much and the chrome shift arm is correct for the '73 Camaro's console (as Firebirds all use the same style).

Or spring for the new competition plus shifter from a place like Jegs or Summit...it has the limit screws and is brand new.

The factory Hurst shift boxes are competition plus shifters but differ from the after market comp+'s in two big ways:

1) they do not have limiter screws (as noted above)
    2) the shift lever presses in to the tower on the shift box (after market attaches with two bolts)

If you really want to know about Hurst shifters go to Pete Serio's web site: Precision Pontiac. Pictures, info and then you can call and speak to Pete (nice guy who knows his stuff) and maybe even pick up what you need from him.

8. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Sorry if I confused you.

SOME shifters came with shifter handles that were integrial to the shifter (not bolted on). IF you were to find one of those, it might not clear the dash or the console or the seat (bench seat if you had one). Most factory shifters were not Hurst Competion Plus shifters and were not very good (they'd hand up in two gears and were sloppy).

I looked up a Hurst Competion plus shifter at Summit and found this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/H...|1973|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|CAMARO&prefilter=1 . Unless you're really familiar with the shifters (like I am) cut to the chase and buy a new one.

I always PMed (preventaive maintenance) my shifters in the spring. Took it out, cleaned all of the grease & grime out of it, then lubricated it with white lithium grease (white lithium grease is very slipery and repells water).