Color for 72 camaro underneath

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Carmine, Feb 23, 2018.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

2nd Gen Addict, Are you telling us that we can go to any Auto Paint Distributor
    and tell them to mix there brand of Epoxy to match a PANTONE 490 chip/sample
    and they would know what we were wanting and how to do it..........

Myself and Steve Neuer are advocating the use of SPI primer that is sold direct
    and shipped to or door and that's why Steve's hard work is so important
    to the rest of us SPI users.

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Okay, I'll do my best to share my insight on why I mix the way I do.

First, the only purpose of using a gram scale when mixing the black-to-red-to-flattener is for consistency. therefore, the more accurate the mix, the more likely you are to get two different batches to provide the same finished product appearance. keep in mind, 0.1 gram = 0.0035 oz....a minute amount, so while using the eye-ball scale mixing a quart or more might be fine, when mixing small batches there is greater probability for error. I was borrowing a friend's digital paint scale and when he needed it back for a while, I just went out and bought my own. Found a nice Mettler-Toledo unit used on eBay for about $100. Would a digital scale with 1.0 gram resolution be okay?...probably, but the higher the resolution, the better the match. Also, I searched but could not find a "cheap" digital scale with a range up to approx. 6 lbs. (2.72 Kg). If you don't want to invest in a gram scale, I suggest taking the black, red and flattener to an auto body shop, pay them a few bucks and have them mix up a gallon or so, (depending on how much you intend to consume), in advance.

As for mixing, I'll use some examples. First to get the my red oxide color, add 8% black to the red oxide. (Ex: 100 gr of Red oxide x .08 = 8 gr of black for a total of 108 gr of material). After the color is determined, then create the desired gloss by adding 5% flattener. (Ex: 108 gr x .05 = 5.4 gr of flattener for a total material of 113.4 gr). Therefore, by starting with 100 gr of Red oxide, the finished mix, (less activator), is 113.4 gr of material. Then add the activator (1:1 mix with material), thin to your desired viscosity and shoot.

Hope this helps.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Pantone is an international standard used frequently in the printing industry. A paint supply shop can use it to do accurate matches if they have a device called a color colorimeter like this:
    https://www.pantone.com/pantone-i1display-pro-2
    I use the SPI products as well and will be carefully scrutinizing Steve's recommendations someday and will probably spend endless hours adjusting them until I arrive back to his settings and then just spray the damn thing.

4. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
  5. CamarosRus

Steve, This thread or parts of it need to made a "stickie" but given how few people
    on nasty care about true restoration I hope those interested find this thread...

Was your 5% Flattner only a suggestion or is that what youve found to be appealing
    to your eye versus the red/black formula straight outa the can ????

6. CamarosRus

PPG Bulletin # 544 (which I couldnt find using GOOGLE)

gives the following formulas for varying Gloss Levels of Delfleet ESSENTIAL Black
    Single Stage Polyurethane Enamel

Flat Black 1203.2 parts/1Qt ESSS 911678 (as is)

Satin Black 932.4 parts of ESSS 911678 (Flat)
    211.1 parts of ESSS 9000 (Gloss)

Semi Gloss Black 803.2 parts of ESSS 911678 (Flat)
    344.2 parts of ESSS 9000 (Gloss)

Combine the above shade of Black with Activator and Hardner
    for a coating far superior to anything from a Aeresol can or
    a Farm Store etc etc

7. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Man that’s a lot of chemistry for the average home builder. Why not just take a sample to any paint shop that has a spectrophotometer and get them to match it using the wonders of modern technology?

You can also ask them for the formulation so you can get more mixed up later and many will save this in their system with a reference/job number or name if you ask them to.

8. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Great match up. I don't know why people incorrectly call it red oxide
    Absolutely correct. Spot on match for Norwood 1973-1981 Camaro/Firebird. Beautiful job on underside.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  9. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Why are you calling the color "red oxide"? That is the color named for 70-72 Norwood built Camaro/Firebird. I own a 74TypeLTZ28 and totally agree with post#8. That color is more brown then earlier years, hence wouldn't be incorrectly called red oxide. I haven't heard an official color name for 73-81 Norwood Camaro/Firebird underside. Anyone?

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    it was a huge tank full of ferrous ( iron ) paint which varied as the tank sat . they didn't change it day to day or even week to week . when it got low they poured more paint in it which would have varied the color among other things . the paint needed iron in it to complete the early elpo process ( negative / positive charge thing ) . I have no idea why its called " Red Oxide "

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Double R Restorations likes this.