CNC - brushed brown bezel material

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by JD Z, Oct 7, 2017.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

For now, I only needed to replace a radio bezel because it was scuffed heavily from an aftermarket radio faceplate. I didn't spend much time getting the old one out as you can see. My son has a CNC and quickly layed out and cut a replacement.

This will do for my radio bezel, but Im curious if there is a vendor for the brushed brown raw material. Might go a little farther if I can find that material. I spayed this piece with a metallic bronze color. Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Have you looked at push plates or kick plates for doors at someplace like Lowe's or Home Depot?

Might work, it's worth looking into. Your son could probably cut one out of them.

I've thought about using those to make plates for my dash.

3. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Very creative and bright idea. I'll take a look through HD and Lowes. It might be pretty close to the look/feel.

Not sure it would be large enough to cut the dash if I want to. It might open the door to a vendor of that material though. Thanks for sharing.

4. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    You should able to find the push plates in around 4x16 and kick plates in 10x34.

Let me know if it works.

I might try it this winter. I have a friend that has a CNC machine and can get the plates thru my work. I'm in the door/ hardware business.

if you can't find them look up Don-jo. You could probably get something thru them.

JD Z likes this.
  5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There is a company out there that does an exact reproduction/restoration of that bronze finish. I just saw them in a link from a thread on here somewhere but I can’t find it. Might take some googling....

FOUND IT....

I can’t get the link to insert. Burton antique auto parts out of Dayton Ohio. They have what you need.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Burton Antique auto parts pieces are more of a gold color.
    They look nice but they are not the factory color.

7. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Burton maybe a little gold. It's hard to tell from the web picture. Thanks for the perspective, it helps. Burton is the best I've seen and would be happy with a full replacement looking like that...price not considered. Producing a set with a CNC wouldn't be difficult for someone fluent with a CNC (I happen to know a young chap that cut the radio plate in very short order). I believe there have been a few on Nasty that have found a material source.

If anyone has ideas for material vendors that may be able to come as close, I would like to hear. David79's idea on push plates is worthy of more thought. My looking and it's not quite close enough from Lowes/HD, but maybe Don-jo.

Burton is a respected supporter here, so thank you Burton and no disprespect intended. Good stuff for sure. Just the common maximizer on this side of the keyboard. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. Fbodywarehouse

Fbodywarehouse Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Classic Industries sells the radio bezel as a stand alone unit for pretty cheap if they7 try and rape ya on shipping holler to me will get one in our restock and charge ya the $3 if actually costs to ship

JD Z likes this.