Clutch return spring w/headers

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Green hornet, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I just installed my new Hedman headers today and found that the clutch return spring rubs on the header pipe. They are ceramic coated so I don't like. Who can post photos of how they solved this issue. I did a search but was unable to view any photos of what others have done.
    70 Camaro sbc with a Muncie. Thanks.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I use a different spring i got at the hardware store and ran it to a different spot on the frame

Only pic i can find right now
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    There should be 2 holes in the frame, I just ran my spring to the other hole, no clearance issues now. I would also recommend you using dual springs.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I never thought of dual springs. Interesting. I have to do some underhood work soon, I will check that out. What springs did you use?

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    Ill try to remember to take a picture of it when I get under car this weekend. But I used the standard return spring, and then bought a bigger return spring I found at Summit so both are on, spring pressure is good, not too tight, depends on where you adjust it. So far it works good. Ive broken one of those years ago, and had to drive home in second gear, which was interesting. might be overkill, but it works for carburetors!

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I just use a stock spring even with a set of "Big Tube" headers.I Believe that mine is in the stock location.You just might have to make custom bracket for your application.Good luck to you.