Clearcoat, newer car

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Damon23, Sep 6, 2009.

1. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Orbital buffer with some 'well washed' cotton bonnets,...I use a pre-cleaner wax....then " NU-FINISH " (yes, that orange bottle of stuff seen on TV), and then SEARS brand clear coat polish. Honestly one of THE BEST clear coat polished I ever used. I could cover ANY scratches (other than down to the primer) on ANY black car with that liquid black scratch fill wax, then the steps above (skipping the pre cleaner).

2. Huyzel

Huyzel Member

OOO black cars.. I just detailed a 01 Trans am the other day and it was black... To get that high gloss shine on a black paint is tricky but if you spend time on it you can achieve a really good finsih. I start off with a Dawn wash and dry. At this point the paint is really dull and dry looking. Go get paint prep from your automotive store.. you can wipe down the car with this stuff and it will remove any oil or silicone products that is still present on the car. After that clay the car... Then hit up Harbor freight for a cheap high speed buffer which works well for the average user. Go pick up 3-m perfect it 3000 kit online (if i remember correctly). Use the cutting compund with the rpm set to around 1500-1650rpm and clean off with microfiber. Then hit it with the ultrafina compound.. this will remove fine swirl marks. Its thinner so I start of at a slow speed but work my way up and besure to keep it moving. I then use 3m glaze with a standard pad and after the final wipe down I apply the wax by hand and buff it off.. You will have a mirror finish... black cars require a few more steps but the end result is rewarding. About wet sanding, I use 2000-3000 grit and of course a compound to buff the haze to a shine.. but the clearcoat on these new cars are very thin and you can work down to the base coat easily. Thats why I would recommend sticking with a cutting compound ranging from medium cut to fine.. i use wet sanding on certain areas that require serious attention.

3. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I have had several black cars in the past and 3 in the garage now. I use nothing but Meguire's carnuba wax. I remove it with an orbital buffer with a clean bonnet. Then I use a sheepskin bonnet for the finishing touch.

4. David_56

David_56 Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Atascadero California

hey sorry to change the subject..... but i thought you were me!

5. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX

Don't insult yourself like that!!!

LOL!!

6. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    Very good tips. I'm going to work on this soon. It is embarrassing enough riding in this car. At least it could be clean.

7. DUSK BLUE

DUSK BLUE Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Florida "Land Of Q TIPS"
    I wouldn't rush to go and wet sand a newer car even using a 3000 grit, the clear is very very thin. Go with the compounding to start with a med grit and a rotary machine on a low speed but be careful of not burnin edges. Use a wool pad or even a yellow foam pad. Your gonnna need to get the swirls out after so a decent random orbital will do the trick like the porter cable 7424 using a swirl/haze remover. This type of machine will not burn through or leave swirls.
    I do this stuff all day and cant tell you how many people think they can just wet sand away on a new car. If you have a paint thickness meter than hey go at it but they are expensive..

8. MarcZ28

MarcZ28 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    I own a black 79 Z and I know what you mean.

...with enough rubbing I get the smears to eventually go away. I use a product called Carnuaba Care. Its bad ass. Costs a lot, but it really is good stuff.

9. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    All you are seeing is polish residue you are not getting off. The only reason you are noticing it is because it's a black car and you see everything. Some products are very hard to remove by hand and if you work too large of an area at a time (shouldn't be doing more than a 2'x2') it dries faster than you can remove it. A porter cable random orbital (7000 series) unit will make getting products off a lot easier and won't hurt your finish.

Wet sanding should not come into play here, you just aren't getting your product off completely.

10. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    I'm not going to wet sanding per the advice here. I've used 3M products before and will go that route. The place I used to go here shut down but a new place opened and I have to check it out. Some dawn soap, a clay bar and some 3M perfect it 2, a good polish and wax and it should hopefully be back to normal.