Clearcoat, newer car

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Damon23, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    My wife has a 04 malibu and that car has been a pain to polish and wax since the day we bought it. Most cars you can apply a wax or polish too and it will go on and come off easy. Well, this car not so much.

It is black. And whenever I apply anything weather it be a compound, polish or wax I get these marks on it that look like I did'nt remove all the product. Like smears. I can rub and rub and they will not go away, just smear. I was thinking of wet sanding cause maybe it has junk on it, silicone or something like that, that needs to come off first for a good foundation for a shine. There are no low spots, peeling or sun fading. I just think it can look better. I've tried washing with dawn real good then the meguires 3 step system and mostly it looks good but you still see the smear marks. I've also try Zymol after I hit it with 3M perfect-it 2 compound. Anyone have any ideas on the wet sanding idea?

2. SS2001

SS2001 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Lithia Springs, GA
    Did you do the clay bar on it?

3. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    Yep. Still the same thing when I wipe the detailer off of it.

4. 1980z28fromhell

1980z28fromhell Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2003
    hanford ca
    go to detailcity.org and we will get it straightened out for you ...some of the best detailers in the world there .. im bigron62 there ,,,,

5. SS2001

SS2001 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Lithia Springs, GA
    I'd be very careful wet sanding. I've got zero experience with it, and if you mess it up it could be a disaster. Sounds like they'll know what to do at detailcity.

6. TreySmith

TreySmith Veteran Member

May 12, 2009
    Pearland, Texas
    I learned how to wet sand at work, it's easy and somewhat fun. You have to be careful though since the paint on newer cars are pretty thin. Just wet sand a little bit to get the crap out and buff it. We use 1500 grit at work, practice on a junker car if you can.

This is what a little wet sanding will do to the original paint on a 65 Mustang.

[​IMG]

7. ezcruisn71

ezcruisn71 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2006
    SE, Michigan
    I wet sanded my new paint job when I painted my Camaro with PPG Concept paint. For the final step of wet sanding I used 3000 grit DA pad on my DA sander. It is called TRIZAC from 3m. It costs a lot to buy the pads but it is worth it because it saves a lot of time.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Your problem might not be the paint. Black is known to be the most difficult color to wax and get it free of streaks and other imperfections caused by the wax. There are a lot of people who would never consider owning a black colored car for that reason. Try talking to other people who have black cars and see what products they are having good luck with. They might be able to help you find an easy way to get the nice finish you want.

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Had several black vehicles and Gary is spot on. I never hand wax. I use a boat wax, splash it on after a wash, rinse it off and dry. But always have a new clean wash mitt, use only on this car, wash the sides in long horizontal strokes, no circles, lots of soap, wash the sides first, use a different mitt to wash the lower sections where it gets gritty.

10. MrAzzhat2U

MrAzzhat2U Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Lewes DE
    My method is to wash the car with "Dawn" dish soap and dry thoroughly.Then use a clear coat paint prep,like Maguires,clay bar stubborn spots,then I use Turtle wax "ICE".Seems to work for me.