Cleaning you engine

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Brad80Z, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Simply green works real well for this. Wet the engine bay down with water. Then just spray it on the entire engine bay with simply green. Cover your distributor and air cleaner is you want. Let it sit for 20-45 minutes, just done let it dry on there. Then hose it off. Dont even need to power wash it off. Works wonders.

From this
    [​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

2. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2010
    United States
    Nice! Wish mine would look like that after I cleaned it, it is just going to look the same with less grime. :p

3. Polanjl

Polanjl Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 27, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    Simple green not only works it changes the valve covers on your engine... First picture PCV valve is on the passenger's side valve cover and on the second picture it's on the driver's side.

4. ^^^^^LMAO!!!!! Thats amazing

5. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    For the really stuck on grease. Use oven cleaner. I did just that on wifes DD and it turned out awsome...

6. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    There is actually a simple green for stainless steel that works really well on aluminum or billet or cast metals. I found it by a friends recommendation.

Michael

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i use a 50/50 mix of simple green and water then with a spray bottle mist it on the motor and engine compartment then rinse off and it looks very clean afterwards with no water staining on any aluminum of chrome parts

8. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Ditto! :D

9. rgangi

rgangi New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Southern California
    I guess it all depends on how dirty the engine is.

REALLY DIRTY -- power wash followed by a 50/50 purple power bath, a brush little brushing and a thorough rinse.

DETAIL CLEAN -- I put a couple of ounces of my car wash (I think they all would work, but I like the type that says it doesn't require drying) in a spray bottle and fill the bottle with water. I lightly hose the engine, followed by a thorough spray of the car wash solution, and then rinse again. This removes dust, etc... for a nice shine.

While it may be a little unorthodox, I always follow the bath with a thorough drying with my electric leaf blower while the engine is running -- this blows water out of all of the nooks & crannies. Thereafter, I turn off the engine and give the chrome a quick wipe down with a microfiber.

The leaf blower drying really saves a lot of time.

10. Jakeblue

Jakeblue Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Kearney, MO