Cleaning you engine

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Brad80Z, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Brad80Z

Brad80Z Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Hey guys,

I can remember taking my old 80 Z28 to the car wash once, and I put a garbage bag over the carbureator and air filter and just power blasted everything else with water. Man did it work good. Then when everything was dry, I used armour all on everything I could that would shine up and it worked great. Anybody else done that?:bowtie:

2. RDB123

RDB123 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 11, 2012
    Livingston, TN
    I do all my cars for the car lot like that. I spray the wheel tire cleaner then wash and rinse. Looks like new

3. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

May 22, 2002
    Indianapolis, IN
    Car wash (or power wash)? A definite Yes. Armour-All?? No way. That stuff is a dust and dirt magnet, and in my opinion, makes it look like the engine is a victim of a massive oil leak...but that's just me :crazy:

I've used the power wash method on every one of my cars engine compartments from day one...My '89 IROC still looked like new at 100K, and my '03 Suburban looks like new at 62K. I guess that's a thing for true car-guys only...most people could care less about their underhood appearance. I've had my own power washer for years now, so keeping those engines clean is as easy as popping the hood and blasting them off ;)

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

+1 armor all is a bad idea unless it's a trailer queen. not to mention it will damage rubber hoses.

5. bigjak

bigjak Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Omaha,Ne
    I've been using Armor All on hoses for decades, never had it damage a hose yet.

6. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    They all make a engine dressing now that works well. I just wipe it down real good. Back in the day all we had was armor all though. I've used no-touch with a good wipedown with success.

7. 3/Z's

3/Z's Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Minden, NE
    I've heard of many people doing this, and personally know 2 people that have done this (power wash the engine). The latter two both had to be towed home. They think water got into their distributors.

I have always wanted to do this. Are there any special tips I should know? Should the distributor be covered with a bag as well?

8. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2010
    United States
    ^ I want to do mine as well, really needs some cleaning but to chicken sheet to try it.

9. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    YOu need to make sure to cover distributor and carb. I have done this many times without a problem. I also think ahead. I keep a can of quick start in the car when going to pressure wash. If I do ahave a problem you spray quick start under distributor cap and into the carb.

Michael

10. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2010
    United States
    Don't use any kind of engine degreaser? I'd need some kind because my engine and everything is just caked in the stuff. Any kind of bag will do or a heavy duty trash bag or something? I guess if you use a store bag you better put 4 more on it just in case.