cleaning water stains from paint

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by muscl car, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Chuck, this is your answer.

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i had a 66 mustang parked next to me with a single stage paint job and his paint didn't stain or could see any as bad as mine was .asked the owner and his paint is almost 15-20 years old and his was painted forest green . the owner also said the way my paint looked was just like what his black p/up truck looks after being soaked down by his lawn sprinklers .could my red paint act like the problems with black paint and the issues with black paint with hard water stains ????

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  3. muscl car

looks like i'm going to lose some weight today by sweating in this 110 deg plus heat and use some light cut rubbing compound all over my paint !!:)

4. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...And I thought I was the only one who has issues with their paint and water spots in it , my 79 has an ancient laquer paint job , checking and all,shines nice, but if any moisture gets in it ,it will do the same thing, get white spots, it's a B#*&h to rub out by hand, I need a buffer. Must be a Red thing ,lol, being mine is red also , DC:bowtie:

5. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California
    What can I do for water spots on my windows?

6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Try a clay bar.

7. muscl car

just spent some time on my paint by using 3M light cut rubbing compound and it didn't do nothing but leave the paint very shiny with white spots !!!:mad::mad: ,the rag i was using did show red paint residue on it so i know i was cleaning the paint but those @##$^^$&%& white stains are stil F'n there !!!:mad::mad:

8. muscl car

what do you use to clean/remove the stains ????

9. muscl car

found on autogeek.net and this is the style water stain i've got and it's etched into the paint

this is the type of water spots i have on my paint and found this pic on autogeek.net

Type III Water Spots
    Type III Water Spots are spots that look faded or dull and are found primarily found on single stage paints after a water source lands on and then pools on the paint and is usually left to dwell on the surface for some measure of time before it evaporates or is wiped-off the surface. Type III Water spots can also happen to clear coat finishes too but it’s not as common because I Type III Water Spot is either a stain or fading. Clear coats don’t stain as easily as single stage paints because they are not as porous or permeable. Clear coats can’t technically fade because they are clear to start with, there’s no color to fade.

[​IMG]

10. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...I wet sanded mine , even then you can still see them a bit ,afraid to see how thin the paint is to go further, I still need a buffer to really get into it , DC:bowtie: