Cleaning Polished Rims

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by mjoc, Dec 12, 2011.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    [​IMG]

I am having trouble when I wash and detail my car. The Billet Aluminum rims have a dull haze on them. I have tried the spray aluminum cleaner and I have tried billet polish, But the billet polish takes for ever and never gets completely clean.

ANY Suggestions on how to get these things to shine like new or better then new. Also is there a product that i can use to keep them from getting dull?

Michael

2. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Blairsville,GA
    Back when I used to show mini trucks, I hand polished my wheels out very good and just keep them clean with reg blue windex and newspaper. Most aluminum wheel cleaner have some form of acid in them which is what dulls them.

3. bcc7894

bcc7894 Member

May 20, 2009
    Virginia
    Like 2ndgen, I've not found an "easy way" to keep them shiny. You can use a Mother's ball to help you in some of the areas, but you'll be hand polishing quite a bit. One thing that has helped me is the detachable blower on some of the shop vacs you see around. It's been a lifesaver to keep water spots from starting and the glass cleaner works good to. :) good luck.

I bought these smoothie's off of an ebay daily driver -- I started with 180 grit sandpaper.

[​IMG]

4. global warmer

global warmer Veteran Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Saratoga Springs NY
    I use the mothers powerball and their aluminum polish it will bring them to

a like new shine everytime