cleaning aluminum valve covers

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by 2ndzcamaro, Aug 10, 2012.

1. 2ndzcamaro

2ndzcamaro Member

May 13, 2011
    hesperia ca
    When I purchased my 1972 z28 the engine compartment was all correct and looked to be 40 years old with no apparent cleaning ever. I started by pulling the exhaust manifolds and the valve covers, two things I discovered trying to clean the valve covers, pitted, white and stained, I used chrome polish with a regular food handlers glove poor onto the glove and start rubbing the fine grit in the chrome polish does not absorb into the glove like it does in a rag, will clean up your covers and make them look like new again with little effort. I also found out that Eastwood makes a cast manifold paint, first I used a wire wheel on my grinder to clean the rust off, and believe me the manifolds were bad and thin i put a coat of this Eastwood cast manifold paint on them let them dry 24 hours and re coated, installed 24 hours later and after 1200 miles they steal look like new, with no discolor, this stuff will work and look good on your brake rotors and brake drums also. Hope this helps some. Garry

2. ThumperZ28

ThumperZ28 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Oceanside,California
    Great tip Gary ...I've been debating either use the Rustoleum cast iron or use Eastwood cast iron, sounds to me like the Eastwood stuff works really good

3. 2ndzcamaro

2ndzcamaro Member

May 13, 2011
    hesperia ca
    Oh NO

Thumper you had to say that. 1969 stingray, I sold my 69 Daytona yellow 350/350hp 4sp with 3.55 a year and a half ago and ever since I have been kicking myself in the *** :( , but I guess all an all I like this 72 z it just don't have the horses the vette had, Ill have another some day. As I said the Eastwood exhaust manifold paint is absolutely great and it doesn't take much............... Garry: bowtie: