Clean Floors

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 7tSS, Jan 3, 2002.

1. 7tSS

7tSS Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Can anyone recommend a concrete stain/paint/whatever that won't melt the first time brake fluid or other car "stuff" is dropped on it?

2. bullockcm

bullockcm Veteran Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Jasper, NY USA
    Benjerman Moore paint seems to hold up well. I would use their oil base porch and floor paint. Make sure it is the oil base and not the latex it will last longer in high wear areas. Here is a link to their website

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/

This is what the local body shop uses on the paint bay floors. Most local garages leave their floors bare, at least where the dust won't be an issue. Concrete floors are one of the hardest things to keep a coating on.

3. Bob R

Bob R R.I.P 11/20/16 Staff Member

Jan 6, 2000
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Sherwin Williams make a two part Floor Epoxy Paint. I have had it on my Garage Floor for 10+ Years now. It still looks like new, is impervious to anything. Nothing will stain it. We used this same stuff on our Corporate Aircraft Hanger Floor some 15+ Years ago and last time I saw it, it still looked like new.
    However like anything else, proper preparation is the key.

Bob R

------------------
    1973 Z28 Original Owner 6 Year Frame Off Restoration
    1971 RS Z28 Frame Off Restoration in Progress
    http://www.geocities.com/bobr73z28

4. 7tSS

7tSS Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Thanks. I tried a Home Depot stain once but it did not hold up well. I even etched it with muriatic acid first. I assume you'd have to do the same with the epoxy or oil based paint. I'll look into those suggestions

5. zgator

zgator Veteran Member

We use the same stuff that Bob R talked about.It's on all of the hanger floors.They also put some kind of sand or somethig similar into the paint to prevent slippage when youre walking on it.It's real bright white,makes it easier to spot a dropped screw or bolt and it does seem to last forever.Great stuff

------------------
    70 z-28 4speed,71 camaro hugger orange/white stripes.78 Bandit Trans-Am driver and 75 Trans-Am parts car (former know it all)From the garden of good and evil(Savannah Ga.)

6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Veteran Member

If its impervious to hot tires, I'll look into it.

------------------