Clay Bar.... DO IT!!!!!

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Twisted_Metal, May 12, 2012.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I washed my car a month ago and noticed a couple of fine scratches on the fender......

I got out the polishing compound and proceeded to give that area a bit of attention.
    Great... Scratches gone and the fender surface feels like glass! :D

But the rest of the car still felt "gritty". :(

After washing and wiping it down with a chamois, it just wasn't ready for a wax job.
    So..... I asked my boys for a clay bar kit for my birthday.

A couple of days ago, I took the time for a thorough wash, chamois and hit it with the clay bar before I followed up with NXT Generation wax.

I had never used a clay bar before and I was amazed at how easy it worked to make the entire car feel as smooth as glass.
    (I even did the windows with it because it cleaned the surface so well!)

If you have a decent paint job on your car and are willing to take the time to clean it right... Get a clay bar kit and be prepared to be shocked at how great a job it does at final prep of the surface prior to waxing.

I used the "Mothers" kit.

[​IMG]

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Works pretty good on chrome too. The clay bar was the best thing I learned about at the Adam's Polishes clinics Chucks73 used to set up.

3. hoffmandirt

hoffmandirt Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Dysart, PA
    It's hard to keep your hands off the car after you use a claybar on it, isn't it? A claybar is also great at removing rail dust (the little 'rust' spots you see sometimes). My wife had a newer 4runner there for awhile. It was white and the rail dust seemed to be attracted to it. The claybar took care of it and kept it protected. I also used the mothers product.

4. camaro73lt

camaro73lt Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Germantown, Maryland
    Works great on glass too!

5. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    It's a lot more economical to buy these bars:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.claymagic.net/whatisclaymagic.htm

than the kits from mothers or mequires or where-ever. You get 3-4 times the amount of bar for around $20-25 (which is great if you have multiple cars - including daily drivers). You can buy the detailing spray of your choice (for lubricant) then or, better yet, just mix up some slightly soapy water (with automotive car wash like Mequires Gold, etc).

6. BB81Z

BB81Z Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Aurora, Illinois
    Agreed! Clay bars are great for keeping the paint feeling and looking smooth. Have had good luck with them.

7. Redline Rappe

Redline Rappe Veteran Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Iowa
    It will get every bug off your windshield. Love the clay bars.

8. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

claymagic is the original.. has been around for over 20 yrs I know of and works great!!!:)

9. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    I tried the Mothers clay bar on my camaro and the DD, I was not impressed. I even tried it on the windshield, not impressed there either.

10. Termin8r

Termin8r Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe it was the paint or something, not your fault.

I had a Mustang in the '80's (5.0HO, nitrous, etc,) that I used clay magic on and didn't have to wash the car for at least six months after. It was so clean you couldn't believe it. I used a red duster or just spray with detail cleaner and wipe down with a terry towel every week or so.