classic car insurance

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by silver81, Aug 3, 2017.

1. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Western Wyoming
    so now I have built something fun to drive and nice to look at, I'm feeling like I should update the insurance on it. I have heard of specialty companies like hagerty that specialize in this. Are there any other names that come to mind in this field? do most folks go the specialty route or just stick with a regular insurance company for resto and resto-mod cars like ours? hagerty has zero-deductible coverages available for reasonable price while my regular car insurance company has no such offering that I know of.

Also is there a better forum section for this question?

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I go thru Berkley Classics. Yearly premium is $219.00 for $15,000 of insured value of the car. The premium also includes towing.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    ^ Sounds pretty comparible to Hagerty.

That's who I went with.

4. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    If you do a thorough comparison, you cannot beat Haggerty. Been with them 7 years. I do a review every year and always renew.

5. Gtrexler1

Gtrexler1 New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Rockingham, NC
    I've been with Hagerty for a few years now!

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I'm with American Collectors. My friend has a bunch of cars and he's with Infinity. There's also Grundy.

7. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Western Wyoming
    thanks for all the input. now I have a few more names to look at although it sounds like hagerty is the big dog.

8. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I have Hagerty also.

I had to file a claim with them once. Very easy to deal with. Fast, exceeded my expectations!!

9. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I used to have Hagerty also. But all our classic cars are changed to Grundy because they have agreed upon value...You can insure it for what you have in it.. .In the case of a Cadillac I have we exceeded the book value....So I sent all the receipts for the 3yr restoration and insured it it for 50% over book ...Or what it costs to restore again.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I have fixed cars for just about all of them. They're all pretty good to deal with.