chrome alternator - belt slipping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Steve's 74, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Steve's 74

Steve's 74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The old belt occasionally would squeal just a bit when the belts were cold, about 10 secs after starting, then fine. So I figured the belt was getting glazed.

The new one squeals worse.:mad: It's ok at idle, but squeals like a pig when I blip the throttle. Could the inside of the alternator pulley also be glazed since it's got chrome on it (like overspray)?
    Can I take a wire wheel to it to give it more bite?
    Should I just replace with a stock pulley?
    Do the aluminum pulleys slip like the chrome?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I can't honestly say that I've had this problem on an alternator pulley chrome or otherwise.

Try a deep grove polished aluminum pulley which should fix the problem.

3. Steve's 74

Dec 29, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yea, been on the car for over 2 years without problems. I'm wondering if I should buy a different brand belt and see what happens. The ALT already has a deep groove pulley (deeper than the other pulleys)

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I bought a NEW Gates belt a few years ago which was cut too narrow and squealed a little from day one.

A new belt fixed the problem.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Smooth pulley face should not hurt it, more surface area in contact with belt. Son's Jeep had this problem too, big amp alternator for the winch and lights. Second new belt fixed it. Try another brand.

6. old zeder

old zeder Veteran Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Guelph Ont. Canada
    Get some belt dressing comes in a stick like heavy wax, this will make it bite and last longer, I had chrome pulley's on my 454 and they were always slipping, took a 3m skuff pad to the groove it stopped the slip, then it would just throw the main belt off, now I have a Aluminum pulley setup with the wide belt and they don't slip

7. Steve's 74

Dec 29, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    [Light goes on in head... ] You're right! - I bet it's sitting too low in the 'V' and instead of grabbing on the sides it's sliding on the bottom.

8. 1WILDZ

1WILDZ Veteran Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Rockland County, NY
  9. Steve's 74

Dec 29, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Geez Doug. Let me guess, you don't have a starter, you just put a rat on that treadmill and off you go. :)

10. Steve's 74

Dec 29, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Turns out the idiots at AutoBarn gave me the wrong belt - correct length, wrong width, and cheap crap too. Went to AutoZone and got a new gatorback, put it on, all is good. Really wanted to cruise tonight but the weather is not cooperating.