Cheverra Camaro

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by al8apex, Jun 14, 2008.

1. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    or take it to your closest Super Chevy event and have Mary drive it there :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Craig71188

Craig71188 New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Just a little bit of information (no real progress on the car - still trying to make some work room) - I did manage to contact Richard (Dick) Chrysler (one of the drivers listed for the car) - the problems driving from CA to Daytona were transmission problems - not engine related. We have not gotten into specifics. I did get a copy of the 1980 Daytona 24 Hour Race entry list and the car is listed (but obviously it did not race). Dick also mentioned they considered taking the car to Sebring after they missed Daytona, but other projects killed the idea.

Dick was also kind enough to get me Dave Draper's email and I have made inqiries of him as well - Dick stated he would be a better source of information on specifics about the car. More news as it happens!

Since the weather is crappy and I don't have any space to work yet, I am trying to focus on filling in the details on the car's history. Once I have a more complete picture, I will try and publish a more complete and detailed history of the car.

3. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az

Chevrolet & Carrera (Porsche)

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's funny Glen mentioned the Macho Z!

Mary Pozzi and I were just talking about these on the way back from the Road Tour Express!

I used to have a DKM Macho T/A and was a dealer for Herb Adams VSE products in the early 80's. Herb used to give me a lot of flack for having Dennis Mecham's car with his stuff all over it but only the Fire Am sticker on the windshield!

It confused many people at the time on how you could have both but I loved it and should have never sold the car...Oh well!

5. Procharmo

Procharmo Veteran Member

Dec 15, 2008
    London UK
    Great thread....lots of good history.....and it gave me goose bumps....

Why?

1) I have a Porsche 996 and a 2nd Gen Camaro. I love them both dearly.

2) My '77 Camaro has a Cars and Concepts T Top.....

Nuff said.......

6. Craig71188

Craig71188 New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I realized it's been a while since I've updated anything on the car. I was rushing around getting karts prepped for autocross season. Due to getting them ready not a lot has happened, but a little progress:
    1) 'glass nose & hood removed - the original radiator support has been cut to accomodate the lightweight nose - I did secure a pretty clean replacement core support
    2) Original doors back on the car
    3) Made a couple trips back to Michigan to get more boxes of parts - Pete located most all the interior parts and some of the original safety equipment (belts/window net) - though out of date - still neat to have
    4) Located a dash for the car - not in the best shape, was the correct color, but had been painted black - in the process of stripping it and will probably repaint
    5) MAY have found a 22 gallon fuel cell - waiting on pictures to confirm it is the correct style

The biggest sticking point now is a lack of hardware (nuts/bolts/screws) - when the car was disassembled the parts were kept, but most of the fasteners have disappeared. I have a couple feelers out to guy here locally who are parting out 2nd gen cars to see if I can but a "bucket 'o bolts" to start putting things back on the car. If I get he hardware and make some progress the next couple of weekends, I'll work on getting some updated pics.....

7. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    why would you need such a large fuel cell?

The only thing I can think of would be for a 24 Hour race .... :)

8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jim,
    The Cheverra was set up for endurance runs.

9. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    I know this ... that is why the :)

I drove this car (AND wanted it BAD), see the previous posts

10. Craig71188

Craig71188 New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    And actually, a 32 gallon would fit.....

Bigger, faster, thirstier.......

OK, 22 is plenty if it all works out!:cool: