Cheverra Camaro

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by al8apex, Jun 14, 2008.

1. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    Edit: found out from the owner that this particular car was built by Cars & Concepts

Here it is at an autocross in the early 80's (in basically as delivered condition from C&C):

[​IMG]

then later after he installed a one piece front end:

[​IMG]

He has all the original stuff for it save for the engine & trans (was swapped out at Traco engines in California early on in its life) and the dash plastic.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cheverra

This belongs to a guy I used to work with many moons ago, he's had it since new & it's imaculate.
    They were built by Herb Adams to handle & drive far better than factory but they will never hit the value or status of a Motion or Yenko car.
    Personally, the first time I saw the car I linked to in person, I thought it had a bunch of tacky crap on it & it looked like poop.
    The whale tail was cheezy even in the 80's.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  3. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    see, that is EXACTLY what I thought whenever I saw or read about a Motion car back in the day ... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  4. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

I also saw that ad and talked to the guy that's trying to sell it. This particular Cheverra never raced as it had engine troubles on it's way from Los Angeles to Daytona and was brought back to the Detroit (IIRC) area. It was put on display for a while and then sold to a kid in the area. Said kid kept getting tickets and harassed by local cops so reportedly sold it to the guy that has it now.

The current owner really would like to move it as the car and all the parts are taking up space. I would probably have bought this one had it had "race history." The current owner has all the documentation and most of the original parts.

And I don't think it's tacky at all ... to each his own.

Cheers,
    Mary Pozzi

5. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    Update on the Cheverra

Bruce Wentzel has been shaking down the car this season and will be transporting the car to Topeka Kansas in mid September to the SCCA Solo II Nationals.

I will be co-driving the car there as well.

Anyone have an interest in the beast could see it rip up the asphalt in person 9-18 & 19.

6. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2006
    West of Chicago
    in 2 seconds GOOGLE produced this: (with that very same pic)

http://www.corvetteclubmi.com/1979_cheverra.htm

7. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    that is correct, however I can tell you it is OBO and when it is in Kansas the OBO may be quite liberal ....

8. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jim,

I'll take a closer look while at Nationals ...

Seriously, if anyone wants a part of automotive history, this is a very nice car.

Cheers,
    Mary Pozzi

9. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    Just got off the phone with the owner and he said he went to Cars and Concepts and talked to the shop foreman who built this car way back when, C& C still had a ton of pictures of the process of building the car and he is going to send me a scan of one.

Way cool car for cheap money with nearly every original part that it left C& C with. He says the car has 6,800 (sixty eight HUNDRED) miles ...

most of those miles from driving from Michigan to Traco and towards Daytona TWICE, the 1st Traco engine "broke" around Santa Fe so they drove it back (?? not sure how you can drive it back with a "broken" engine) to Traco and then headed out again to Daytona and made it to San Antonio before it "broke" again. The car was then hauled to Detroit and just sat for years

10. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2006
    West of Chicago
    I'd love to peek at the suspension mods on this car!!!!!!!!!!