Cheaper product for wheel and backspace calculation

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by dcozzi, Dec 10, 2017.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I found this on Amazon and bought it. I will give it a full review as soon as it arrives. It is a simple thing anybody could build but, for $99, I think it is worth it.

This could work OK, if it was sturdier.

I looked at the $300-$500 (for a couple pieces of metal) then at the Percy's Wheel Rite (you do not make tools out of plastic)for $79. I think this one will work OK.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    For the bucks looks like a good tool , and removes all the guess work!!
  3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I tried the Percy one and it is junk. Was also 2 small to measure an 18" wheel with 275.

Would be interested in what the wheel size limit is for the first tool.
  4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here it is. Not very often you get to buy American and it came with a handwritten "Thank You" note from the shop. Pretty cool to get something from a real person who makes stuff with their own hands.

From their description, and I quote: "This new tool will measure overall tire height from 21 inches to 33 inches. Also included are 4 separate pieces that attach to the top representing rim width ( they are 8,10,12 and 14 inch bars to cover all your needs). This tool will fit 5x4.5, 5x4.75 and 5x5 hubs ( GM, Ford ,Chrysler and numerous other models that utilize these same wheel patterns). You can measure Backspacing, Front spacing, and Wheel well clearance ( height and width ). Constructed entirely of 10 gauge steel and easy to use. It allows for accurate measurements enabling you to order the correct size wheels and tires the first time. USA made and Shop tested. Instructions included. Patent Pending."

Wheel Measurement Tool.jpg
    sandiego74 and NeoNeuro like this.
  5. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Let me know if it works for you. I need something like this in the near future. Would love to support an American rather than buy more Chinese cr*p.
  6. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    That’s a pretty awesome little tool. Thanks for shedding light on it!
  7. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    That looks like a pretty nifty tool. Much better than the pieces of cardboard I used to fit mine ( which took a bunch of mathematical calculations to lay out properly ).

If you think about it, could you take some pics with the tool in action ? I'm curious to see how it measures the backspacing and overall tire width at the height where clearance becomes the issue.

Good find !

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Get ready to rent it out!
    Blown Camaro likes this.
  9. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to hear from you on how it works. I saved the link and will be ordering one it you like it.
  10. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here is the car at proposed ride height. The tape is exactly 4' high. The top of the car is 4' 2".
    Ride Height.jpg

Tire clearance for a 275/35/18.
    Wheel Height.jpg

I put it on the car and it told me things I already knew.
    A 275/35/18 will rub the frame and sway a little bit before full lock. I can live with this and it will look damn good making a 3-point turn ;)
    It has iron heads and 600# RideTech coil overs. It needs 700# and modification of the inner fender wells since I am not removing them.

The tool works and you can make a width block out of steel flat bar to the exact size as the tire you plan to use. I marked the flat bar for center and made sure to measure from the outside of the height adjustment plate. The only issue with its use I could see is, it may not clear your caliper on the way around once attached to the wheel mounting surface. Mine cleared by about .375". Looks like they even surface the plates. I think this will be within 1/8" accurate if you take some time and think it through.
    BonzoHansen likes this.