Cheaper Door Hinge Detent Roller Solution...

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by RePhil, May 28, 2010.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
  2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Thats great.I think the way you did it is better.Looks beefier.

3. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cedartucky
    now that's what i call using your head. i ran into similar thing replacing window rollers on b bodies. a cheap cutlass part is $4, a new regulator is over $100!

4. 1fastlt1

1fastlt1 Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Garner, NC
    yeah I wish I had found this out before I bought a set of hinges on Ebay! Then when I got them the drivers roller was messed up! So I bought another set but made sure the rollers were good! Guess I'll Blast and prime them all and rebuild them and sell the other 2 sets or save them for my next project! I had just found out today before finding this thread that the rollers were on a press fit pin! At least now i know what parts I need to fix them!

Thanks for the write up!!

5. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Older thread great info. the parts are in stock at my Chevy dealer. I am going to pick them up at lunch time today and will provide some feedback. I love it when people come up with easy, creative, functional work arounds!

6. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 3, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Roller

Does the roller have to completely roll free? I did this on my hinges and the roller pin must be slightly binding. The roller rolls free when I do it by hand, but I feel a slight drag, is this critical to the operation of the hinge?

7. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    I did not notice any issues. I did this awhile back BUT my car has spent the last year being blocked and painted so I have not used it a while lot.

Brent

8. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Lorain, OH
    The only friction you should feel is that from the plastic bushing. The roller won't be able to free spin on its own, but it should turn easily by hand.

9. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 3, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks! Well, that's what it does, not spinning wildly on it's own, but it does turn easily by hand. I backed out the pin just a tad and it made all the difference in the world. Now on to the second set!

10. Johnny90

Johnny90 New Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    Pics

Hey man, great Post. I need to change my detent roller pin.
    I know your post is old but is there any chance you or somebody else could repost the rest of the pictures??:screwup: