Cheap Chinese headers

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Plant Engineer, Oct 20, 2017.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Looking at those welds on the headers, just think what those kids will be able to do when they grow up? Scary.

2. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    If i could getmy welders to weld half that good id be happy.

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Unfortunately, a lot of the skilled craftsmen are being pushed out of the workforce. I've paid more to have some things made because it was done exactly how I wanted, but it is getting harder to find people with the skills and drive, not to mention the "liability issues". I find myself buying things, knowing I will have to modify them, so I buy stuff that looks like it will be easier to modify as necessary. I'm also lucky to be friends with an extremely gifted welder that can do a mig weld better than some tig welds I've seen.

4. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    You work in semiconductor by any chance?

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    No, I have been mechanical contractor for 37 years in the commercial/industrial industry. We have seen metal change over the years....most times not for the better..

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Did we not bring the whole thing of wanting the lowest price and not caring where it came from on ourselfs? We, USA invented TV's and now because of the price point we were willing to pay, TV's or no longer made in America! We have become a Nation of consumers that want the best product for the price, and sometimes that product is made else where better, and at a better price point, we can only blame ourselves for the loss of those jobs to other nations , my .02

7. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Western Wyoming
    so McCunes' situation sounds like one of those cases where the guy didn't see the value you added to the part by a) having it there for immediate delivery and B) being an actual person he can come to if there is a problem.

When I encounter that situation, I will negotiate a little and many times just a little give on my part will remind the customer what value there is in having a guy he knows he can deal with. Obviously I can't sell at a loss or even at cost but in the end I lose less by taking a slightly smaller margin on a sale than I do by making full margin on a lost sale. Plus that guy is more likely to come back to me in the future because he knows I'll work with him, which the internet never will. Retail simply isn't what it was 10 years ago so I adapt because I really like what I do.

By the time we get parts on our shelves at the independent retail level we tend to have very little control over either the cost or the quality of whatever is in the box. As the global supply chain becomes concurrently larger and more consolidated, our options constantly seem to become fewer unless we have the ability to buy by the container full with 6 weeks lead time. What we have to do is add value through our customers buying experience. In marketing class they talk of the 4 Ps; Product, Price, Placement and Promotion. We need to work all those components as best we can. Buy the right stuff, price it as competitively as possible, let people know what we have and make people feel good about the buying experience. It is the same thing as the guys who run the off-shore factories are doing.