Cheap Chinese headers

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Plant Engineer, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Care to elaborate?

2. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    When it comes to craftsmanship I don't care what country comes from it's up to the talent doing the work ...but it when it actually comes to the Steel... import steel is inferior..I have been a heavy industrial contractor for 37 years I've got a lot of examples of failure of shafts, bolts, you name it. The Chinese steel is some of the worst steel that is produced. I think maybe Ukrainian steel is right up there with it. IMG_20171022_061053818~2.jpg

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That looks like powdered metal. We check labels at the grocery store. If it is made in China or Hong Kong we don't buy.

4. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    A lot of the times we're unaware of of inferior Steel because it's internal to a machine we have no idea when we purchased the machine unfortunately these days there are four or five different countries providing metal to make chillers cooling towers Etc

5. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I had to throw them on the 496 I finished up today for my Foreman's Vega project. I'm thinking '64 Riviera. Click on those images and look at the thickness of the flanges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    "If you guys are so broke dick that you can't buy USA made parts, then you need to stay the fuck at home."

Wow. What a prick. Sorry we don't all have endless budgets to buy fancy parts. Sometime you are just trying to have fun on an EXTREMELY limited budget.

By this guy's logic, because I am supporting a family of 5 on a single income, I should just go ahead and sell my car because I can't afford to always use USA made parts. Wow. Just wow. Must be nice to live in a world where price is not a concern. Too bad ass-hats like this guy either never lived, or forgot what its like to live in a limited-budget family. I bet this prick wouldn't even know how to wipe his own ass unless he had name-brand TP at the ready.

I don't know who that guy is, and frankly after watching half that video I have no care to. I don't care if he is Gods gift to racing. In my eyes he is simply a spoiled prick, if for no other reason than because of the quoted statement above.

And I do actually agree with him that buying USA made is best, but sometimes you just can't do that.

CasperCasper likes this.
  7. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Yeah, that guy is a dipshit. Can't fix stupid goes both ways.

When I started buying parts for my Camaro I quickly realized the car was going to be about 70% Chinese .Basically all the body panels since they are the only ones making them. The crank is a Manley sourced unit which is just a rebadged SCAT for all I know which I'm 100% fine with since they make a good crank. Been using them for 25 years. Make the same quality at near the same price point in the US and I'll buy it. Same with the the rods. Scat H beam rods with ARP2000 bolts are Gods gift to humanity. Intake manifold is a Weiand unit that far surpasses the quality of what anyone else is offering ( machined in the US but cast in China ) .

If a company can be competitive and build quality parts with a good price point I will gladly buy from them no matter where they hail from.

As far as those headers go there is nothing competitive in price or quality so the discussion hits a road block at that point . I did realize I wasnt actually going to use them so I sold them on craigslist for 2X what I paid for them :).

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Stupid was wasting $375 on a junk Edelbroke intake this year, brand new and screwed up out of the box, never again.

9. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Western Wyoming
    In a sense, we go through a similar phenomenon in many small towns here in the states. But the forces in play here are small town brick and mortars vs. big box stores and the internet. I live and work in a valley community made up of about 8 towns which probably total about 10,000 people. We're 100 miles from even the nearest walmart which I guess is the modern yardstick for isolation. I can't tell you how many times Customers walk in, smart phones in hand, and complain about our "high prices" compared to what can be found out there online or even at the big stores 100 miles away. Globalization has simply changed buying into a new process in a way similar to what it has done to manufacturing. Mostly I find it tolerable as long as people are not deceptive. I found a brand of cv axle that came boxed under the brand "USA Industries". there was no country of origin on the box. the parts were imported. American flags appear on the packaging of lots of imported stuff. Now THAT'S pretty lame.

This leads into another point about globalized manufacturing. Don't count on the box to especially forthcoming. Increasingly I see items with packages marked with a whole list of possible countries of origin. Kind of defeats the point, don't you think? Also, I agree with what was said earlier that Global manufacturing is willing and able to produce any quality desired. If a purchaser puts out a bid that emphasizes cost over quality, that is what they get. Minimum quality for the price point accepted. These job shop plants across the globe don't control quality. They bid to the specs provided. The purchase agent controls the quality. And the more consolidated and publicly traded American businesses become (think mergers and buyouts), the more the emphasis becomes return to shareholders rather than real quality and durability. The shareholder wants it to sell; they are less interested in if it works or lasts. Maybe what the US needs more large scale privately held industry.

And don't count on brand name to keep your dollars here in the states either. Lots of fords/chevys are made in foreign countries (the Ford transit connect mini-van comes from Turkey and their full sized van is actually a Nissan) and many to most subarus, hondas, vw's and toyotas sold here are made at plants down in the southeastern states. And in either case the parts stream is 100% global.

Here's something else to remember; Sometimes "made in USA" means entirely that. US raw materials wholly processed domestically into finished goods. Mostly not though. A lot of our lightweight clothing is produced off-shore from US raw cotton or fabric, then sent back here for sale. Honduras, Guatemala, Dominican Republic are huge players in that trade. Some raw materials undoubtedly go to asia to be processed and returned in finished form. I imagine that sometimes the inverse is true too.

And to complicate things even further, tremendous amounts of chinese capital are invested in manufacturers and properties in the US too, with the profits likely being repatriated in the end.

So how purist can we really be? Hard to say. Here's what I think I can say though;

Just be aware. Make each decision on it's own merits. Sometimes I buy locally even when it costs me more because either I want it now and they have it, or the cost difference is not really going to kill me. Sometimes I just want to support a local business. Likewise country of origin. I generally have a mindset that China is my last choice once I get to a set of options that cover the actual need. That said, I am not and will never likely be in a position to be blindly loyal to the USA label. It is economically bad for the whole market if you buy utterly blind to price point. I think that if we all did that then there would be no motivation for a USA product to be competitive. What I think I do in the end is to decide how much added value the USA label brings to the transaction for me at that time and then decide. Sometimes it tips the scales and sometimes not, but I try hard to at least be aware.

I don't know that mass globalization is really all that great for me but sadly the globe never asked my permission.

10. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    I had a guy come in the shop Thursday and ask if I had a starter for a LT 80 Suzuki kids ATV. I went back to the stock shelf to grab it, I had it in stock for 65 bucks. The customer shook his head No. I laughed because I knew I was being priced from the internet and said " How much are they on the internet,30 bucks?" He replied " 12 bucks". I then ask him why he wasted is gas driving across town? He said " I like to support locals" Yeah right, that cheap bastard just wanted to see if he could have it the same day. I told him that I hope the internet steals his job someday. Go Chinese shit!