Cheap Chinese headers

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Plant Engineer, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    You can see the lift points on the weld bead. It was positioned 3 times during welding. Here we'd throw it on a turntable but that one appears to have been done by hand. nice work either way.

My experience with Chinese stuff and Ive bought a lot of industrial welded material over the years directly from China is that they will build according to whatever spec and payment base they are sent. You pay for crap , you get crap. You pay for quality you get quality. These headers appear to be quality so I wonder what the basis of the original contract was.

Ive got a "Manley" Chinese made crank in my 540. I dont believe for a second that Manley did anything other than put their name on it. I still trust it to 1200 HP. Same with the Scat rods , the "Weiand" intake and I even suspect the pistons were Chinese sourced by Mahle. Not losing any sleep over it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    I was all gung ho USA made stuff until this year, 1st the new Eddy 409 intake I bought was mis-machined and it was like pulling teeth to get them to pony up for the repair for it. 2nd, the new 409 MSD Dizzy failed out of the box, MSD, past the warranty date SOL. 3rd my crummy Hooker headers did not fit what they were supposed to so they went back. If it's made someplace else in the world I don't care anymore, not giving good money to companies that pee on the little guy and their response is too bad for you. Let them go under, there will be another fish to buy from.

3. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    Tim's rant is pretty good.

4. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    I shared your link on my FB-very good!

5. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Ive got china 1 7/8 long tubes on my lq4/ls3 setup. They glow red often and the only place theyve failed is where I welded on them! +1 for the china

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    I am all for buy american, if it fits, if made the best , and if it has the best price , if it meets those guidelines then great, however, if some where else, makes a part that fits , made well , and has the best price , then that's what I am buying , because I do not get paid enough to buy parts that break and I have to buy again, just to support american made parts, just my 2 cents !!

8. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    So your saying that you bought stainless steel headers and collectors for$150 shipped?

9. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Yes. They were $148.88 with free shipping. Ive bought a LOT of headers over the years hedman, kooks, hookers etc with many costing over $1000 by the time they are in my hands and these are the best constructed headers with the best welds and best flanges Ive ever purchased. They are not equal length but neither were the hookers they copied to make these.

I dont have a car to put them in but I am seriously considering buying a car to fit these headers I like them so much. Its like when I find a old box of ammo in the drawer and I have to go buy a gun that fits the box of ammo. Happened more times than I can remember.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Mwilson likes this.