Cheap Chinese headers

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Plant Engineer, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I had to pick a set of these up to to see what the deal was. They initially didnt put a fitment guide on them so I had no idea what they fit. For $150 shipped I figured whats the harm? Got them in a few days ago. They do not fit a second gen Camaro but they are exact copies of Hooker early Camaro big block 2" primary headers but in stainless steel and with welds that put the Mexican built Hookers to shame. .

The welds are hand done and fabulous. I had to bring one of the collectors in to work to show the supposed "welders" that work for me what their welds SHOULD look like. The flanges are laser cut 3/8" thick on the head side and 1/2" thick at the collector. Seriously, these are absolutely beautiful headers and blow Hookers away quality wise. 304 stainless with a very nice polish. I just wish I had something to put them in. I'm even thinking about buy a big Chevy or Nova to use as a vehicle to put them in when my youngest son is old enough to get my Camaro .

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-TUBE-HEADER-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-FOR-67-72-396-402-427-454-V8-CHEVY-BIG-BLOCK/201171669445?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    I've seen instances in Chinese turbo headers where they looked almost that good but the metal fatigued quickly and the welds failed. I have no trust in the quality of materials used in manufacturing but you may have found an exception. Put them on, run them hard and we'll see. Take pictures both before and after they've been on a while. They do appear to be well build with the right parts and fished up nicer then the big companies.

3. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    It's made in China...

304? Does a magnet stick to them?

4. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Half my engine ( and thats just the half I know about ) and 90% of my body panels are made in China. Doesnt bother me a bit. If its quality it's quality. Certainly better made than the made in Mexico Hooker headers.

Yes, its 304. Totally non magnetic.

5. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    The title of the thread...

I'm all for buying North American products but I'm curious if the knockoffs can withstand real world use. There's a reason Hedman and Hookers have been around so long. Realistically, they won't be if China can make compete at a lower price point.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  6. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    How Hooker stays in business I have no idea. For many of their models Hooker came up with a header design in 1968. It didnt fit then and it still doesnt fit. Gets REAL bad when you deal with their 67-70 Mustang stuff with their big block headers. You end up having to cut them apart to get them to clear frame parts. We were at the drags the other day and a guy drove by with a big block 69 fastback with headers almost dragging on the ground. Been there, done that. Its almost easier to weld up your own headers from scratch than to get some Hookers to fit.

Mexico or China I'll take China 10 times out of 10.

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Really nice bead run, nice welding I see why you liked them!!

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    and for a SBC that they say fits a 1971 camaro they are only $137.00 will have to try for that price, thanks for the link

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I have a set of hookers they do fit. Not perfect quality but works they are 1 and 7/8 tubes on a 79 camaro. Fitment is close. My concerns are with the brand name parts providers. One part fits all. Moroso went down that path with the non stroker oil pan that had the correct bolt pattern to the omitted bolt hole to accommodate the stroker pan and then did not advertize you needed smaller pan bolts to get this installed, just nuts. Competition engineering is guilty as well. They sell sub frame connectors that fit well for the 70 to 73 frames and also offer as a separate part number the 74 to 81 connectors only thing is that the 74 to 81 connectors are the same dimensions as the 70 to 73 ones. So as we know the differences in frames these do not fit without some surgery.

The instructions that was sent with the newer frame connectors. Would have had to shove these up about 3 inches into the frame.

_DSC0817.JPG

10. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    "nice bead run" I would be surprised if that was done by hand. With jigs and automation, that would be a piece of cake.

Also, China could give a shit about quality control. It's hit and miss. I built the house I live in - finished it a couple of years ago. I bought a load of r-bar for the footings/concrete. Discovered later that it was from China - too late to return. Long story short, I found one piece of re-bar that had a rivet with aluminum surrounds sticking out of the side of the r-bar. What this means is that China/India buy US scrap metal and then re-melt it into ignots for manufacturing. Imagine getting a barge full of scrap US cars and throwing them into a smelter... Bottom line is, you never know what alloy you are getting. I am a design engineer that has worked in manufacturing for 30+ years and the steel/metal/alloys that China sells the US is always suspect.