Changing Window Felts and Wipes

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by MartyO, Feb 11, 2015.

1. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I used the staples that came with the OER kit I ordered instead of rivets to keep the “factory installed” look. The kit even supplied the drill bit for the staples. I then painted the staples with black paint to blend / hide them into the felt.
    If you use rivets, roll the door glass up and down to ensure none of them rub or scratch the glass. If you order replacement felt for the door glass guides, you will have some left over felt which you can then cut small circles out of and put on the head of each rivet as double protection against scratches.
    When you are marking the new felt strips for drilling, and when you are installing the felts to the door panels use a couple spring clamps, one on each end, to keep everything in place and lined up.

2. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    Thanks for the tip on the spring clamps!

The flat rivet head sits behind the felt strip in the "V" channel so it cannot touch the window glass unless there was a hole in the felt strip. Look at the pic post above.

The only issue it looks like I ran into is the rivets I had on hand did not have a long enough grip to go all the way through the weather strip and the plastic top door cover. I'm about to head by Fastenal and see if they have some there.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I had planned to copy the rivet idea too - but ended up just going with small screws because the vinyl was wrapped around that area so I didnt trust the rivet on the back end being tight. So far so good ater a year.

4. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    Rivets will work you just have to do some trial and error to find the right length to fit through the felts and through the metal.

5. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    I used 1/8" diameter and 3/16" grip length from Fastenal and they worked great. HD and Lowes by me only carried 1/8" long grip length which is too short.